1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

High quality 'budget' 1/4" DIY plugs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BullHorn, Aug 19, 2012.

1. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    Can you guys recommend some? I need to re-solder a couple of cables and I want to upgrade their 1/4" plugs and there's just too many to choose from.

I mean something like this:

[​IMG]

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
  3. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
  4. INTP

INTP

Nov 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I've had good luck with Switchcraft 226 (style in OP) or 228 (the style linked by Roadkill).

5. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I just wrap some electrical tape around the wire to build up the diameter. The quality of the plugs I linked to is quite good (fiberglass insulators and a ground lug). I've heard that the presently made switchcraft aren't as good - the older ones (and present ones too?) didn't have a ground lug so it was a PITA to solder the ground wire on and the plastic insulation tended to melt :( . Oh, and I use blue locktite on the shell screws so they don't fall apart eventually :cool: .

6. Budbear

Budbear Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Staten Island, NYC
  7. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

8. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    Oh, Neutrik was the name. I don't know if it's 'audiophile' level of good, but I already soldered one of those once and it's still working great on one of my 5+ years old Klotz cables.

9. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I hate plugs that "stick out" of the bass which is why I prefer the flat style. I have some of the switchcraft ones that are 30 years old and still goin' strong - YMMV :) .

10. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
  11. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Me too.

mech

12. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Let me guess, they are coiled cables! Har har just teasing. Still coil cables looked cool, they also looked kinda a pia tugging at your axe and all if you went too far.

13. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    HaHa - most of us went to straight cords by the late 70's . Coiled cords were only good if you were stationary right in front of your amp and they were always failing :( .

14. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    I make my signal cables using high quality two conductor shielded flexible mic cable with one of the conductors doubled up with the shield for strain relief and Switchcraft flat 90 deg plugs. Haven't had one break as far back as I can remember. I have worn the plating off down to the brass and replaced them just to keep from having to steel wool the tarnish off the brass. I have some cables that are 40 years old. Every time I see a straight plug being used in a guitar I know it won't be long before it will need to be fixed from the plug being broken or the wire connection being pulled apart due to the poor strain relief.

mech