Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

High Quality Graphic EQ Pedal??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Does anyone know of an high quality, extremely transparent graphic eq pedal. I know boss makes one, but I'm not sure if thats the best bet? Under $200.00 anyone?

I'm mainly looking to add some boost at around 30hz-40hz. I've tried both the Aguilar and Sadowsky Pedal, but both smoothed out my passive tone. They were great at what they did, but they did make my tone a little more buttery then I'd like. I'm bassically looking for something that will be able to do a clean, ultra transparent boost at low frequencies, while letting the lovley passive sound breath thru.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    By definition, an eq boost cannot be transparent

There's nothing wrong with the geb-7 pedal, or the mxr m-108, or the boss eq-20. But they change your signal when in use and can therefore not be transparent.
    Maybe you need more granular control over the eq boost using a parametric or semi-parameteric like the Raven Labs True Blue EQ

3. I'm not really too fond of semi-parametric EQ's I find myself turning knobs all night long.

A graphic is more of what I'm looking for. But you overall, you recomend the boss ones too?

4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The ones I mentioned are all 'good' pedals, just as the Sadowsky and Aguilar are 'good' pedals.

But you didn't like those, and you obviously have something very specific in mind.
    A graphic eq pedal MAY give you the granularity you seek, or may not.
    So I'm saying that I think you may have a better chance of getting exactly what you're looking for with a parametric - Q as well as frequency.

5. well maybe an EQ pedal isnt' want I'm looking for. I'm looking for something that will Beef Up my sound, without smoothing it out. i like my passive growl I get, but would like to thicken it up a hair.

I figured boostin a tad at 50hz would do that, but probably not....

I've noticed you used Tube Works Blue Tube Pedal. Did this pedal do that? Thicken up the sound at lower levels? (I know it can be a radical overdrive, but I dont want that)
    Just something to beef up the sound, without totally revoicing the instrument.

your thoughts?

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I think that I really don't properly understand what you're looking for, which is part of the problem with trying to describe sound with words.

If you're trying to 'thicken' the sound, you should be looking at low mids IMO - somewhere in 250 to 500hz. But again, you could be talking about something totally different when you say 'thicken'

7. I'm probably not even looking for any EQ shaping, but more of an effect pedal/tube pedal.

do you know anything out there that over all thickens up, and adds meat to the tone, but also not completely altering the tone/voice of the instrument.

I'm probably more or less looking for a tube pedal i'm guessing.

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Can you define what you mean by 'thickens' and 'meat'

I personally would associate those characteristics with mid frequencies, not low end.

9. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    a pedal that i think generally thickens your sound is the aphex bass exciter. but when i say thicken, again, we may have different interpretations. my impression after i kicked it on with the big bottom side of it turned up was "man my amp sounds a lot bigger". it gives an overall thick sound, that helps you to be heard over your guitarist and makes your playing sound of higher quality and smoothness.

10. don't behringer do an "ultrabass" sub harmonics processor? Perhaps something like that. Never seen it in pedal form.

the Boss will only boost at a 50hz centre, so no good if you wan't 30-40hz boost.

Perhaps you're more after tube "warmth." I know, another stupid, ambiguous term, but hey! SansAmp does a reasonable job of sounding tubey without being tubey.

11. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    behringer do make the ultrabass but its only in rack form or built into your combo. my combo has it, but i wouldnt really say it thickens up the sound.. it just adds to it and kinda gives it a creepy/synthy sound. maybe at more subtle levels it would thicken.. id still take the bass exciter over it.

12. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Reading your posts it seems to me that you can benefit from compression rather than eq.
    What about getting EBS MultiComp compressor? (or other two band compressor) You can set different threshold for high and low band and kick the low band more. Your basic sound will be unaltered, it will be transparent and you'll get extra balls!!

13. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    if you are gonna go multiband compression, look at the akai hexacomp.

also i think that digitech makes a 14 band eq..

14. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I've got a boss eq20 which is pretty good. That's the 10 band digital one. You can store 9 presets (I think). You can swap between off, one stored preset and what is actually set on the sliders with the footswitches. More than that and you have to bend over and press buttons. It's quiet, clean and doesn't have the nasty scratchy highs that some cheap stuff has. I'd hesitate to call it transparent tho, it does have what I think of as a 'modern' vibe to it, but that may be due to the way I use it, usually to dial in a spanky slap tone. Might be hard to do better for around $200. I'd check out the mxr too. For what it's worth I wouldn't call the ebs multicomp transparent either, good, but not transparent. ymmv.

15. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i still agree that the very nature of an eq pedal means that it cannot be transparent..

16. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    The Trace Elliot SM-7 EQ Pedal is really nice. Has two pre-shape settings. One with scooped mids the other for more midrange emphasis. Also, just straight clean EQ using the graphic sliders.

17. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I like the TE SM7 eq a lot, but that's because I love TE preshape 1, it's not everybody's cup of tea.

For a 30 hz boost, you want a DOD Meat Box. It also boosts at 60 hz and gives you a subharmonic knob. The subharmonic isn't my favorite (I have a Furman Punch 10 that rules for that), but the low lows boosts at 30 and 60 are great thickeners.

18. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I'm glad this thread was already here! I was gonna ask the same thing... I just recently got a new bass, and need something that can now even out my 4-banger, without jacking with every switch on my Demeter pre... I used to have a Boss one, and remember it being pretty good. How much do the other ones mentioned run?

19. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I have seen the following:

Trace SM-7 $70.00
    Boss GEB-7 $40.00 - $50.00

Don't know about the other pedals mentioned.