Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

High quality, small rig for under 5 bills

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Figjam, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    So if you had a budget of about $500 (give or take) and needed a small rig to play in a college dorm or small apartment, what would you buy. Looking for the best sounding rig, should be able to handle a low B string. Must have nice slap tone as well.

A small head/cab setup would be great. Really good combos welcome as well.

Im guessing 60-100 watts would be fine.

2. a Phil Jones Briefcase prehaps?

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Doesnt hjve to be that compact. it can just be a nice amp. Doesnt have to be tiny. Anything smaller than like an ampeg b100r or equivalent is fine.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ive played all those amps and they just werent relaly for me.

arre there any small heads, that soun really good but arent over 100 watts?

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Figjam, get a Yorkville XM100. I love mine and it would fit in dorm room. I earned three degrees, so I know about not overpowering neighbors and getting an amp in a small space. The only thing I will like better than my Yorkville will be a XM200 2X10 when I get one. ;)

6. There's an SWR Studio 220 (110@8 and 220@4) for $200 in the For Sale forums right now. I'm not sure if it's your thing, but it's a good price on a nice head.

Mike

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Figjam, also get a Tascam Basstrainer. There will be many times in a dorm when no amp is quiet enough. :eek: You definitely don't want to get a rep with the RAs and GAs as a noise maker. :scowl:

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I cant buy something right now, im just beginning to do my research.

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Well, I became friends with everyone on my hall so I didn't have a problem with volume until I was playing louder than I could stand. My dorm was 16'6" square and I had enough room for my SVT410HLF with GK amp, a Schroeder 1210, a seperate pre power set-up, a small combo, and 5 instruments to fit comfortably.

Don't rule out using your full-size rig as a dorm rig.

Barring all that, I really dig the Mesa Walkabout Scout combos. 300 watts, 12" or 15", and about 50 lbs.

10. I'll still recommend the 220. They can be had for around $250 and an older Goliath Jr. or Basic 2 way (1x15) can be found for about the same.

Another option is the SWR Basic Black (50 lbs). I just picked one up a few weeks ago for $400 shipped.

I'll also concur with Abark..the Walkabout is great, but finding one for 5 bills will be nearly impossible. The cheapest I've seen is around 7-800, but well worth it if you can squeeze the cash.

Mike

edit: Another intersting option is the Pignose B100v. It's an all tube 100 watt combo with a 15. Tombowlus has/had one that he reviewed a while back. I've seen them for $450.

11. etb67

etb67 Far Out Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2005
    Ohio
    I've heard good things about the Mesa Walkabout Scouts but can't find much info about them. They don't seem to be sold by any of the larger online shops. Anyone got any more detailed info? specs? prices??

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    How are genz benz combos?

SWR looks good too.

13. Mesa doesn't sell online. 4 ohms, 300 watts, 12 or 15 inch speaker with a passive radiator. Prices are (I think) $1150 and 1250, respectively. Mesa sets the price. No haggling. Extension speakers available. These drop the load to 2 ohms....not really advertised by Mesa as a great idea, but done by a number of users with no ill effects.

For more comprehensive information by people that own one...I'd try searching. There is a Walkabout Megathread somewhere on here that should fit the bill (too lazy to link it, sorry)

Mike

14. I've only played an older ML200. It was a 2x10 with 200 watt. Sounded good, but was fairly heavy.

Mike

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    BUying a 300 watt amp would be pointless since thats what i use now. would be defeating the purpose of downsizing.

16. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The Yorkville XM200 is a sweet amp. Will keep up with almost any drummer, as well. (just keep that stupid scoop knob off)

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Mesa/boogie 112 looks good too, do they make anything less than 300 watts?

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The mesa is actualy out of my price range for this investment me thinks.

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    easy,

ashdown 1x12 combo. great stuff for at least $399.