Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

High School Big Band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Anyone else here play in a big band at their school? If so, do you play upright at all, or only electric? I'm split about 80/20 this year for upright/electric, but last year is was more like 50/50.

We entered into the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra's Duke Ellington competition. Our recording was sent in today. Did anyone else's band enter this?

Our big band started out doing Latin and funk stuff (which is what our band last year was made for), and it sounded horrible. Everyone got really down about jazz band, and then we broke out some Ellington charts. Something clicked, I guess. Our band sounds really good on these charts (Jack The Bear (which is a bass feature), Rhapsody in Blue, and Rumpus in Richmond). We recorded live in our school's auditorium (which is very nice accoustically and seats about 1000), with two condenser mics at the front of the stage. I'm not sure what platform we recorded on, but it sounds good. I might get a song up here if I can.

(Yes, I played upright exclusively on this recording. It's nice to be able to play both pretty decently, so you can have choices.)

2. Im not in a big band, but I am in a 5 piece combo. I play an electric upright that i got for christmas, but before I almost always played upright, electric just doesnt seem to cut for swing IMO, but I would use it on the occasional latin tune, or a night in tunisia, mainly becuase I couldnt play the intro vamp on upright :rolleyes:

3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I had the same problem with Night in Tunisia two years back. I'll agree- most swing tunes call for upright.

4. Darren R

Darren R

Sep 25, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm in a jazz combo right now in school, but I usually play electric. Big Band should be starting up some time soon, so maybe I can bust out the upright (although I SUCK at it, haha) then...

Cheers

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Darren! Good to see you pal! (In case you're interested, Pete and I have regained contact with Ryan on AIM. Feel free to join us!)

By the way, they only way to get better at upright is by playing it a lot.

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    In our big band, this year it's been right about 60/40 w/upright getting the 60. I only play electric on a few charts-Tower of Power tunes, Funk, certain kinds of latin, and a few shuffles. Everything else is on upright. It just sounds better. If a gig is one where we want to be a really a compact size or it's one where we'll just be back ground music-i just take the bass guitar though. That's all

7. Yea Darren, I agree with what Eric said, if you just play a ton youll get better, I started playing upright on everything my combo did, and even if I couldnt play fast enough or just play the right thing I kept trying, and in about a month I was playing everying on upright, youll just adapt to the situation if you put yourself in it.

8. ChildoftheKorn

ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    IL
    i just got a chance to play an upright seeing as of next year are band will need a bassist.....it was pretty damn scary steping up to that upright for the first time at 7:30 in the morning...i played for like 2 hours than half an hour after school lol i felt stupid cause i kept playing master of puppets :D couldnt resist but lets just say it felt weird playing ellectric for a few hours after that heh

9. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I'd definately say get upright bass lessons if you're going to start playing it. You can learn to do many things wrong [sometimes to the point of pain] with out them. That's all

Cam