Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

High school dropouts?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Jun 26, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I quit HS first semester of the 11th grade, as soon as I turned 17 and could do so legally. By law, non-graduates in Texas can't (assuming the law hasn't changed since then) enter a state funded university until they're 19, so I hung out for a couple of years. Went on to eventually graduate Pondunk U. with honors and have a good career now and all of the usual middle class acoutrements.

Anyone else not finish HS but go on to college/vocational school/military/etc. or otherwise wind up not feeling that they had somehow ruined their life?

NOTE - I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT QUITTING HS IS A SMART MOVE FOR ANYBODY. I HAVE NO REGRETS, BUT I WOULD STILL ADVISE ANYONE STILL IN HS THAT THE BEST MOVE IS TO GET YOUR DIPLOMA!!!

Just so we're clear on that point. :)

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Wow, you can enter uni without a highschool diploma?
    In Germany you usually can't, except maybe music and arts curriculae.

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Took High School equivalency exam and had a decent SAT score (standardized entry exam in the U.S.).

From what I've heard and read about the German education system, there's much to be admired, but it does seem short on second chances.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    That's true unfortunately.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am a dropout, and didn't go to college or a trade school.

God has been good to me. I make enough money for certain Democrats to call me wealthy.

6. I never even went to 12th grade.
    Parents gave me the boot when I was 17.
    10 years later took and passed the GED.
    Spent a year at a Community College and then
    transferred to the State University and spent another 4 years to get a B.A. in Psychology with a minor in Management. Then all the exams and stuff for graduate school. Two years later a
    Master's Degree in Organization Development Psychology.

7. I'm not, but I am still gonna have a crappy time getting the money I need to get a good livin' in order. I hate how Rhode Island makes it so difficult to live if you didn't do well in high school. I swear, I bet in some job interviews, you would go in there, and they would ask. "So, did you do well in high school?" "Not really"then a trap door opens and you fall into a snake pit, "FOOL!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!"

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Another high school dropout here. I did 5 an 1/2 years in high school and still quit. I was gigging alot then even on weekday's, and school was less important then. I took the G.E.D. at 37 years old and passed (I was suprised I had more than 1 brain cell left) Went to trade school and now I'm a electronic technician.

9. I don't say this proudly and I don't tell this to very many people, but I never graduated H.S. either. I was short 3 credits at the end of my senior year (I partied alot...stupid, I know) and never went back to get them. My mom went to live with and take care of my grandmother when my grandfather died, but I didn't want to move (band and girlfriend). So instead of finishing school, I got a job and supported myself. But, all that being said, I've never had a problem getting a job. On the job application...under H.S. Diploma...check "yes". I've been fortunate enough to work for great telecommunication companies...like TCI and Verizon and have made a nice living...and have recently started a telecommunications company with two other former Verizon employees. Got Wire?

Not graduating has not ruined my life. Life is what you make of it. I do wish I had made the time to go to collage...maybe after I retire. I gotta make money now, while I'm young. :)

10. I might as well have dropped out, in the last 6 or so months I was there, I just wasn't with it - the break up of my parentsa just shot me down bad, I was just kinda like a ghost.

Now, a year later, I'm doing about as well as I can be, just finished first year as a music student - something I probably wouldn't have done had I followed the normal path.

It's all horses for courses.

11. i did not grad high school ,i do regret missing out on all those good years of my life,after having children ansd seeing them go through high school and attending,there sports,i see how much fun i missed out on by being on the wrong path at that point of my life,today i have changed my way of living and will never have those kind of regrets ever again ,this is what i do for a living
    i drywall these houses and make very good money doing it,i have 18 guys working for me today
    peace
    frank

12. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Hell, I dont need to finish high school, I'll just start my own firm. I ll call it Jafar and Sons.:D

13. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    My dad never finished high school but he ended up with a BA and MA in history and a law degree. He didn't drop out in the usual sense, as he went to college early.

14. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I don't believe the exalted State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations is unique in this respect.

You could always answer the question ' My high school experience was unbelievable...', which, assuming you attended NKHS, would be totally true.

Thor

15. Yes, very much so, stoner land, and a new building now!!! Plus I am of the few and elite of the musicians there(the good ones)

16. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

you have a PM

17. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
  18. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well, if you're gonna razz on us dropouts, it would seem particularly appropriate to spell "felons" correctly...

;) :D

19. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I wasnt razzin on anybody other than the 2 people posted in that url I provided. My brother and many a good friend are actually drop outs, and theyre quite smart.

20. I just remember something a drop-out told me once

"A high school diploma gets you nothing. Not having one gets you even less"