1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

High School Football Player Benches 700 lbs!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
  2. How old is a High School Senior? 17/18?

Just hope the lad is doing it clean, suit aside it's a scary lift, scarier at that age (closest I know is someone who went to school with my brother who is hitting ~500 at 20, and I thought that was impressive!).

If he keeps his head in it he could certainly go far in the PL world, also scary strong for other sports.

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    To be honest, my first thought was how clean is he? He looks like he has good proportions for power lifting. My gut feeling is that for American football, his best shot is linebacker/fullback/running back if he has speed. He might also be a good noseguard/nosetackle. He should be 17 or 18.

4. fmoore200

fmoore200

Mar 22, 2011
    NYC
  5. Must admit I'm not all that familiar with the gridiron positions (other than being told I should try it and play Offensive or Defensive Tackle, though I presumed it wasn't a compliment :bag: ).

He does look quite short/stout, which, as you say, would work well for the lifting side of things.

Assuming the position is similar to the position of the same name in Rugby, a pesky runny b*****d :bag:

:D

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Mohawk, you are 6' 8" aren't you? If so, you would be great for tight end or defensive end provided you have speed. If you could throw a ball, quaterback would also be a possibility.

All of the positions I mentioned for the high school kid are positions where players are often pretty compact in their builds. Although linebackers can be tall, many are not that tall, and running backs are rarely over 6' 3".

7. fmoore200

fmoore200

Mar 22, 2011
    NYC
    I was poking fun at the diminished use of the fullback position in American football

8. Nowadays fullback is just an extra blocker in passing situations, and occasionally going out for a pass. Many teams have done away with it entirely, preferring an extra wide receiver instead.

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Some use the H back, which is sort of a fullback/tightend hybrid.

10. Not quite that big, 6'4". I think I left my speed back in ~2011 :ninja:

I keep meaning to have a proper bash at it as a summer sport.

Ahhhh :ninja:

11. impressive, but I fail to see the point.

12. Just to lift more than the competition.

If you break down any sport, you could ask what the point of any of them was.

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    or another bus-in-training woot. :hyper:

14. Yeah I guess you're right. I get the aspect of trying to outdo yourself beat your own personal best. I guess the team sport thing just makes more sense to me. the whole "working together towards a common goal thing."

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    A powerlifter might say the same thing about being a virtuoso musician.

16. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    I'm not sure the comparison is good. Many people will pay to go see musicians, powerlifting doesn't seem to gather such crowds.

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    lol @ the bold part ;)

this guy's a football player. i bet more folks spend their dough on football tickets than they do on concert tickets. unfortunately.

18. Do we play (music or sports) simply for other people to watch? I certainly don't tend to have many spectators at either :ninja:

A crowd gathering to witness something doesn't give it a point, just look at the crowds Bieber or Niki Minaj pull in :ninja:

I always found lifting (non-competative) to have a meditative properties, like DwaynieAD said, the whole beating your own personal bests. It isn't all that removed from team sports either, it's just different skillsets it works towards, I dare say this guy's strength is probably a big bonus on the playing field (transfered skill) as long as he hasn't lost much speed over it.

Dare say it also has that deep rooted Alpha Male stuff on the go, trying to be the biggest, strongest guy there is.

19. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Point taken for the comparison, people do what they love in a case or the other.

Imo. it's pretty much all there is to it :D

But then again I'm biased, esthetically speaking I'm not a fan of the power-lifting (or mr. universe for that matter) look so I tend "not to get it" because I have trouble going past that. I'm a superficial bitch :ninja:

20. The reason I said "I fail to see the point" rather than "there is no point"