high school orchestra

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by UshiChan9, Feb 17, 2001.

1. UshiChan9

Feb 17, 2001
    My high school orchestra bass is the worst looking one in the school... it also buzzes on some notes and the glue is coming apart on the sides.
    I guess I'm just cursed like that - my bass at the middle school wasn't much better. I'm actually a violinist, but I switched to bass after getting bored. Since I had joined late in the year, I got the "only remaining bass"...
    The end pin didn't have a screw (as in you couldn't make it taller or anything... but I'm 5'2 so it doesn't matter) and my bow had been cracked in half a couple of years ago. Literally, it was taped together with scotch tape.
    Anyway, I'm thinking of getting my own bass soon (but I don't have $3,000 yet... hmm... maybe if I sell my violin...) so I don't have to put up with the CURSE OF THE OLD BASSES! AHHHH!!!!!! THE PAIN! (riight)

((mine looks like it fell off the roof of somebody's car while they were goin 60 mph... hehe))
  2. rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Sounds like a less than ideal situation. Is there no way for the school to have the seams reglued and the bass setup correctly? If you are getting your own bass you could go ahead and purchase a decent bow now.

Good luck - welcome to the DB
  3. UshiChan9

Feb 17, 2001
    heh, yeah I considered getting a bow, but I figured I would kill it before the end of four years if I brought it to school. Plus I'm broke... heh. Well I have a school jazz band concert tomorrow and an orchestra concert the day after and I have to practice now! yikes! byebye