1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

High school punishes student for giving drunk friend a ride

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Oct 15, 2013.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
  2. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Yeah I had read about this. Just another example of how stupid "zero tolerance" policies can get.

3. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I've been following this...absolutely ludicrous on the school boards part. What, would they have preferred the drunk student drive themself home? This girl should be commended, but instead...no good deed goes unpunished. Disgraceful. So much for fostering good values.

4. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Any school that tries to tell me what to do outside of class hours can go **** itself. And that is besides the point that it makes no sense at all.

5. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore? Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    Yeah THIS^^^^

6. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I mostly agree, but as a student athlete, I believe most schools require those students to sign and adhere to a code of conduct. I know I did when I was in school, but maybe those aren't around anymore?

-Mike

7. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    There's still codes of conduct as far as I know. I'm thinking that they're going at this with the angle that she was "aiding and abetting" the underage drinking by giving her friend the ride rather than calling her parents for example. Still BS in my opinion, but that's the only way it even makes a little sense to me..

8. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    For some reason only the hockey team at my high-school had that, and it wasn't enforced much.

Then again the legal drinking age in my province is 19, it's 18 where I currently live. Alcohol isn't demonized nearly as much and nobody bats an eye to the sight of a 17 year old with a beer.

9. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    It's absolutely atrocious that our society has allowed these rules to continue to exist in our school system.

10. zero tolerance policies are stupid. no better word for it.

11. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    Yep. I'm yours for the 4, 5, 8 hours that I'm there.

At one point, APSU had a "no drinking while in a school t-shirt" policy.

12. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I blame the lawyers. The constant threat of litigation requires that specific methods and rules be required and adhered to without regard to common sense, like in this situation. The punishment here is likely from the school district and not the particular school itself.

13. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    In as far as zero tolerance policies - lawyers, yeah definitely.

School officials who want an "easy way out" I suspect also but I think that "entitled parents" also share a big part of the blame.
    Having three kids in the public school system right now, I've seen enough to wonder what it must be like to be a decision-maker in a given school district... I think I would go nuts having to deal with some of the parents I've seen... :eek:

14. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    I make a point of wearing my (ultraconservative) school's swag when doing "unsavory" things.

15. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    "I may play ball next fall, but I will never sign that. Now me and my loser friends are gonna head out to buy Aerosmith tickets. Top priority of the summer."

16. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Pink quote FTW!

-Mike

17. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    A school/school district having a jobsworth attitude regarding a student? Unbelievable! Next they're going to claim these people are civil servants....

18. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    It's all about power, this is why we had a 7th grader suspended for the ENTIRE YEAR for playing with an airsoft gun in his own yard!

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...ed-for-the-year-after-toy-pellet-gun-incident

I think the only zero tolerance policy we need in our schools is one for stupid educators.

19. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Silly Americans.

20. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    The lesson here is that the girl should have called a parent to give her drunk friend a ride home.

The other lesson is that we should act surprised when high school kids get drunk at parties and refuse to call anyone to pick them up knowing that a parent will necessarily be informed. I hope the school district is happy with their policy knowing it will result in more teens driving drunk.

******* nitwits. :rollno: