1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

High school suicide near my house

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Mar 6, 2008.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
  2. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Sickening.

3. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Very sad for all.

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Sad that he felt he had to do this.

5. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Very nice of him to do it in front of a hundred or so other people. :spit: :mad:

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Sad but True.

7. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    At least he didn't take anybody with him. :scowl:

He easily could have in a gymnasium full of 150 students.

8. very sad

9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I just found out I know one of the girls there. the head of our cleaning crew at work brings her daughter with her sometimes to earn a little extra dough. Barbara came in tonight, but didn't bring her daughter. She was at her grandmother's resting. Turns out she was talking to the guy a few minutes before, then he just stood up in the middle of their conversation, and the ordeal began. :(

I hope other kids can look at this and be inspired to talk to someone and/or seek medical help if they're feeling the need to do something like this. Life is too beautiful to do something so severe at that age.

10. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan

If medical help were free, I'd agree.

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    My friend actually had a suicide happen basically in his back yard... There is a cell tower about 500 feet (possibly a little farther) that a guy from our town climbed up and jumped off. He saw the guy out there on the ground from his window, but didn't know what the heck it was.

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Adron are you going to the wake/funeral ?

13. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    at my school, we have a couple of schemes; a lower school mentoring scheme and an upper school mentoring scheme...

in the upper school mentoring scheme, they pick a group of around 10 year 12 pupils, who work with year 7-10 pupils who are feared by teaching staff to have really serious problems... things like violence at home, abuse, the list goes on, we have to deal with some really heartbreaking issues... we have to evaluate whether the police should be involved (there's a child protection agent in the school we liaise with), which teachers need to know, if any, and what action should be taken (both by the pupil and by the school). basically, we need to find out what, if anything, is the problem. Most pupils really open up to the idea of being able to talk to someone relaxed, more understanding, closer to their age group... If it doesn't work first time, we sometimes have to think creatively (take the pupil for a game of football, go and sit under the stairs, anything which might help them connect)

In the lower school mentoring scheme, the pupils are not recommended or put forward to take part in this scheme, but instead the pupil volunteers themselves to go and get some help or advice on a particular issue. This scheme is run by year 11 pupils, who work with years 7-11 on issues which are more social than anything else. bullying, friendship groups, mild drug abuse, mild depression...

I know some people will be skeptical about it, but I can genuinely say that it really does work. Of course it's not perfect... but very effective. If anyone wants some more information, feel free to pm me.