1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

high school summer programs

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by peglegmeg, Apr 9, 2006.

1. peglegmeg

peglegmeg

Mar 6, 2006
    CA
    hey, I'm looking for an orchestra camp to go to during the summer. I've played for 1 year (technically), but have about 8-9 yrs of string experience. So I'm not that great yet, but I just got a teacher and i'm rolling through stuff like capuzzi and bach suites. Do you guys have any recommendations?

I definitely want to go to the Northwestern High School Music Institute, but I'm not sure if I'll qualify there. Any opinions on this?

Thanks!

2. Where do you live, and how far are you willing to travel?

3. peglegmeg

peglegmeg

Mar 6, 2006
    CA
    i'm willing to travel anywhere within the country and I live in California (Bay Area)

4. One thing to consider is the Hammond Ashley workshop in Seattle. It's one week long, and features group lessons and master classes with Jeff Bradetitch and Max Dimoff. They'll take anyone, no matter how good they are, but you will be placed in a particular group level. To be in the advanced group, you have to send a CD in.

I've gone several times in the past and always enjoyed it. I've also known people who are very good despite only playing for a few years.

5. peglegmeg

peglegmeg

Mar 6, 2006
    CA
    I'm kind of looking for more of an orchestra camp with occasional master classes and the like instead of just pure solo work.

6. Rob Sleeper

Rob Sleeper

Oct 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Hi,
    I recently attended Northwestern's High School Music Institute last summer. Let me tell you it was a great experiance! I really loved it. 2x's a week you have a masterclass and once a week you have a lesson with the teacher. Symphony orchestra rehearsals are mon-fri for a couple of hours. You can ask me anything about it if you want to.

Rob

7. Interlochen in Michigan is great. It might be too late to apply though. It's six to eight weeks and you study with Larry Hurst and Jack Budrow. It used to be eight weeks long but I think they shortened it to six weeks. The Detroit Symphony comes once and sometimes gives masterclasses.

8. sibass89

sibass89

Jan 29, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    A great camp to check out is the New York Summer Music Festival, in Oneonta, New York. It is 6 weeks long (3, 2 week sessions) and has great performing opportunities. There are two orchestras with world class conductors and we play with world class soloists. Last year we played the Tchaikovsky violin Concerto with Aaron Rosand and he is coming back this year to play Bruch's 1st Violin Concerto. There are also great masterclasses. This year, Harold Robinson is coming back to give a masterclass, and he gives a good class and you can take a lesson with him if you want. Also, the teacher there is great. Bret Simner is good guy and a great teacher. He is able to help you with whatever your interest as he plays in everything from full symphonies to early period orchestras to small chamber groups.

Its not too late to apply there and its a great festival. Also, if you enjoy jazz as well, they have a great jazz program.

Check out nysmf.org. There is also a lot to learn from great masterclasses for other instruments given by people such as Pamela Frank, Ida Kavafian, Jeanne Baxtresser and many more!

9. peglegmeg

peglegmeg

Mar 6, 2006
    CA
    thanks, guys!

rob: how good do you have to be to make it into the NU program? I'm kind of having doubts, since my resume for bass will be looking kind of sparse (especially the 'how long have you been playing? question) and I'm auditioning with parts of a couple bach suites, which isn't unendingly difficult or anything.

Also, if you could fill me in on some of the details of camp itself, that would be really cool

10. What?!

11. peglegmeg

peglegmeg

Mar 6, 2006
    CA
    oh yea, they're transposed to be a 5th below the original cello part, so I'm not really in thumb position, or anything.

12. I read recently that transcriptions are widly accepted at auditions. I have the six suites but I wont seriosly start them for about a month or so.

Edit: I wanted to add that it is some of the best hand written music I have ever seen. Normaly I have to ask someone what a not is because the person that wrote it had fat notes in little lines.

13. peglegmeg

peglegmeg

Mar 6, 2006
    CA
    Oh, I just have the Nanny version of the suites. I'm playing the prelude to no. 2 in D minor (transposed to G minor). Do you think that is good for a summer camp audition?

I'm also playing Capuzzi right now. Should I also audition with this? I'm a little worried that because it's generally not considered "difficult" enough, I may lose credibility, or something.

14. sibass89

sibass89

Jan 29, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    I wouldn't worry about difficulty for a summer program. You're not auditioning for a big time symphony, its an educational program. Play a piece that is at whatever level you are at. At summer programs, they look at talent and if you jump in there and play Bottessini when you are only ready for Capuzzi, it is not going to make you look good.

To sum that up, Capuzzi is just fine as well as those transcriptions. I wouldn't be worried, just go in there and play.

15. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    Idyllwild Arts Summer Festival.

Idyllwildarts.org...check it out it should be fun this year. You would probably placed in the lower orchestra, but the festival orchestra is doing some pretty hard stuff this summer so that is probably for the best.

Good Luck,
    Peter.

Oh, And North Carolina School of the Arts also has a festival you should look into; ncarts.edu