Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

High Sensitivity Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Woofenstein, Feb 22, 2003.

1. I looking to get an extension cab for my 200W bass combo.....I am looking for the most efficient 15" (or possibly 4x10) out there....any suggestions?

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    don't get an amce they need ALOT of power.......

3. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    acme**

4. TheCreature

TheCreature Supporting Member

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Bag End S15. Loud as ****, not alot of low beef, however.

5. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Peavey Black Widows are a LOUD 15, but some are 4 ohm; you didn't mentioned what impedance you need to have.

JBL is usually loud.

Peavey 4x10 boxes are LOUD.

Most likely, a 4x10 will be louder than a 15, because it has more surface area to radiate.

Keep in mind, that loud and low are mutually exclusive; the more sensitive the speaker, the less lows you get- it's physics you can't escape.

Also, if you have a 200w amp, you will only put perhaps 100w into another cab; that's not a lot of power for most cabs these days.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    EQ it right and the Bag End will fill out... cuts nice in a band setting.

I'm in the same boat. I've got a 200 watt Ashdown combo in need of an extension. The S12 or S15 would work... but a decade of Bag End has me looking for a new flavor. Because I haven't liked any horn I've tried (well, I haven't A/B'ed cabs since the early 90s)... I'm looking at the Bergantino EX112 but might give the HT115 a go.

7. Thanks for all the input....actually, I am looking for a 4 ohm cab (8 would not get the full 200w)....so the BW Peavey sounds good......I was wondering if anyone would mention Peavey.....nice, dependable LOUD systems........anyone else?

8. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    The Yorkville XM200T will theoretically push an additional 4 ohm load, but you might find that to be a bit too much for regular use at full power; I'm afraid I don't know much about how well Yorkville's do at full load that way.

Yep; but eventually you have to deal with the reality of the marketplace.

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Eden D410-XLT's are very loud. You can get them in 4 and 8 ohm versions.

10. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    if you can take a 2 ohm load there is a dude sellin 2 peavey 2x10's for 175 a peice. my peavey is LOOOOUUUUUDDDDD and low. wait i forgot that can't happen:rolleyes: .

the only down side....heavey as a biatch

11. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

Damm skippy:cool:

106 db

AJ

12. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I used a pair of Peavey 2x10's with a 4 string for a year or so. I ended up trading them for a pair of 1x15's for more low end, however $175 is a decent price for them if the tone is what you want.

13. From what I've heard from Yorkville support, the amp is stable at 2ohms.....I'm thinking I might go with a 4x10.......cause in the future I'll probably get a separate head and I won't want to have to buy another cab........the only reason I want one w/ high efficiency is so I get some decent volume out of the 100w that will be going to it from the combo....

14. but it still makes me sad.........

15. I carry CNA, CNE, and MCNE tickets, and tell you for sure there is a very good reason why Novell is a $3 stock...

A real shame, but reality.

16. Anyone know why? If the sensitivity is higher, sound should be louder, right?