High String Tension

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Wes Whitmore, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I have a mid 90s SPector neck through 4 string (All black with black hardware - made during the Kramer days). I love the tone of this bass, but the string tension is considerably higher than any of my other bases. People who play it comment on the string tension too. I have had it perfessionally setup by a very good tech, and string tension was the same before and after. I even measured the distance from the bridge to the headstock, and it seems on par with my other basses.
  2. Hi,
    maybe you could change the whole set of strings to a set that you normally use? I would think that thats the reason why the tension of the strings seem so high.
  3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006

String tension has a lot to do with what strings you are using also. Maybe switching to a lighter guage roundwound string wound on a round core such has the DR Hi-Beams (steel) or DR Sunbeams (nickel). These strings seem to have a much lower tension than most other sets I've played, and may be just what you are looking for.
  4. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Well, I have had this bass for over 2 years now. I tried Elixers, some Ernie Ball Slinky's, and most recently, DR lowriders. I have the same strings on my other basses. I did use some DR brand strings that were a light-medium (I think the E string was a .95), and it did improve the string tension to about where the other basses are, but when I dropped the E string to a D, it got a little clanky for my tastes.