1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

High Strings Significantly Quieter?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Slackerprince, Sep 5, 2008.

1. The high strings on my MIM P-Bass are significantly quieter than the low strings, and I'm wondering if it's a pickup height situation.
    It is a used bass I got in a trade, and it could probably use a proper setup, although I have made a few saddle and string adjustments already. I really have to crank the volume to hear the D and G strings.
    Any help?
    Thanks!

Slackerprince

2. Take a ruler and measure the distance between string and pole pieces.

3. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Fret the D and G strings at the last fret, then raise the pickups to about 1/16"-1/8" below the bottom of the strings. Test the output after that adjustment.

If that doesn't help, let us know.

4. I'd just fiddle with the height screws while playing the strings. No need to be exact.

5. Now we're talkin'.
    The pickup needs to be supported underneath. It keeps sinking down into the body.
    I have it up for now. I'll have to get down in there and deal with it for real sometime.
    Thanks.

S.