high strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist_punk, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Hey guys, I've recently decided that after having the bass that I've had now (Washburn XB-200) for quite some time, has paid its due, and I've decided to get a squire P-Affinity bass. Although one thing has been bothering me about the P-Affinity, and I was wondering if this was something that could be fixed. I first used a P-Affinity at my friends house because well... he has one, duh! And I came to notice that somewhere not to far past the seventh fret the strings come farther up from the neck to where its uncomfortable, and almost impossible to push down. Now my first question about it is: Is this normal, and my second question is: Can this be changed or fixed? I appreciate any input guys. Thanks :D
  2. Yes
  3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
  4. simple questions require simple answers

5. OK, you've had the simple answers;)

What I think you're talking about is the action - the height above the fingerboard that the strings are.

Yes, this is adjustable. The bridge can be lowered to bring the actrion down. Also, as you say it starts at the 7th fret or so, there might be some 'bow' in your friends bass's neck. This would involve a truss rod adjustment!
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've heard of many problems and issues with the necks on squiers - i'd consider another brand if i were you - there are other much better options in the same price range.