Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

High tenor five string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bumper, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Bumper

Bumper

Dec 17, 2005
    Clinton, Ky
    I'm modding a five string to use a high tenor tuning (ADGCF) but I can't find a set of these strings anywhere. I would prefer not to pay an extensive amount of money for them, so I don't want to buy custom guaged single strings. Does anyone know where I could by a set of strings with these gauges?

2. Get a 7-string set & sell the unused B & E, or save them if you're wishy-washy like me(& prone to changing your mind :rolleyes: ). I imagine a full 7 set will cost close to the same as a 4 or 5 plus the needed singles.

3. Bumper

Bumper

Dec 17, 2005
    Clinton, Ky
    I considered that, but I think it would be a waste of strings. I could use the E and B for my six or fretless five, but I usually change strings whole sets at a time. There has to be some company somewhere....

4. Dean Markley put together a set one time for me, and threw it down for free(& I am NO body :) ). It wasn't an odd set or anything, I just couldn't find what I was looking for in stores. Ken Smith will sell direct(again, if you can't find them at regular stores)& they have a wide variety of gauges(including piccolo-suitable stuff). You might try a search in strings- under piccolo, or maybe tenor.

5. Uhh...waste strings, or waste $$$'s. You decide.
    Sounds like bassteban has an answer for you if it works out; otherwise, get the 7's.
    Ebay, or Craig's List is a good place to sell individual strings; no tellin' who's looking for them... could cut your cost of the 7's. ;)

6. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Just strings has reasonable prices for DA XL or DA ProSteel singles.

Dave