1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

High Tension Black Nylon Tapewound Bass String?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Kyungsoo Hwang, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Kyungsoo Hwang

Kyungsoo Hwang

May 17, 2009
    Hello.

I am looking for a "High Tension" Black Nylon Tapewound Bass String.

Do you have any idea of tension on black nylon tapewound bass string such as Labella, Dadario, Roto, GHS, etc then please answer to me.

Thank you.

2. DuShauh

DuShauh

Aug 29, 2011
    West Michigan
    IME, all of the brands that you mentioned are low tension strings. The only nylon tapes that I ever played that had a "higher" tension are the Fender 7120s. Very different from any tapewound out there, that could be good or bad depending on your goals.

3. Kyungsoo Hwang

Kyungsoo Hwang

May 17, 2009
    Thank you. I didn't think about Fender Strings.

4. Kyungsoo Hwang

Kyungsoo Hwang

May 17, 2009
    Hmm.. Fener 7120s discontinued?

5. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke

Jul 27, 2013
    NEPA
  6. Kyungsoo Hwang

Kyungsoo Hwang

May 17, 2009
  7. Kyungsoo Hwang

Kyungsoo Hwang

May 17, 2009
    Difference between the Roundwound 7120 and Tapewound 9120 is that Roundwounds have a brighter, punchier sound due to the fact that they are roundwound and then precision sanded flat (polished) so they retain some characterises of the roundwound sound. Tapewounds on the other hand, are the closest anyone can get to a double-bass (upright) sound on the electric/acoustic bass guitar ? no competition! <= Quote

-------------------------

Hmm. I feel like that Fender 7120s is not a true tapewound string and now it is discontinued.
    (Is it something similar to Flatwound or Roundwound without round?)

Maybe, I have to go back to find to another Black Nylon Tapewound with high tension.

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

As someone said, all Black Nylon Tapewound's tend to be lighter tension.
    Rotosound seem to be higher tension than GHS, La Bella.
    The old model Fender nylon were somewhat high tension.
    But I don't believe there made anymore.
    The Roto's are very bright, and harsh sounding to me.
    I prefer the GHS set for tone.

9. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I've got a set of LaBella tapes. Pretty nice, but a little "plastic" feeling and sounding for some techniques.

Played a fretless jazz the other day with black strings -- the nylon was different -- seemed to be almost shrink-wrapped/painted on -- and the sound was a little more clear. Harmonics spoke more easily and it was a little more like playing rounds. Slap was better, too.

I was told that the strings were Fenders. The 9120, however, seems to be only available in a four string set. Anyone know if they make a 5 string set?

Anyone know of a 5 string set they'd recommend, based on what I've stated above?

10. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Rotos have a good sound but are higher tension than I like.

11. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Didn't know before now that they made a tapewound (though apparently they do). Will have to look into those.

Edit: Rotos were mentioned in the original post -- my bad for missing that.

12. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Got to play the fretless jazz mentioned above once again yesterday. Confirmed that the strings were Fender tape wounds. Got to say that, overall, I really liked them, at least on that bass. The plastic coating looks and feels thin and tight -- you can feel the windings of the string underneath. Harmonics are clear. Slap techniques worked surprisingly well (tone very reminiscent of Bakithi Kumalo's on Graceland), without the "thwack" of the LaBellas. They are very close to roundwounds, without the string noise when you slide, and without *quite* the bite up top. They'd be easier on a fretless 'board than rounds, for sure, but, I suspect, not quite as easy as the LaBellas.

On this bass, string-to-string balance seemed a little off: The A-string was down a little bit from the G and D while the E, surprisingly, was louder. Had to finesse it a bit. Better than having a wimpy E, though. They were easy to play in tune. Didn't feel floppy at all to me -- maybe higher tension than the LaBellas? I think so, but different basses, different times.

Not the strings to get if you're looking for old-school thump/decay, but I could see really liking them on the right fretless -- might work well on some fretted basses, too.

I was told that D'Addario(?) makes Fender strings -- if so, are these similar to the D'Addario tapes, or very different? I plan on picking up a set of the Fenders to try on one of my fours, but they don't make a five-string set. D'Addario does -- if they're like the Fenders, I'll try a set on my fretless five string.

EDIT: Just ordered a set of each (4 string Fender, 5 string D'Addario). Will report when I've tried them.

13. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    D'Addario and Fender tapes are very different. Fenders are much brighter sounding and stiffer feeling. Texture-wise they feel more like a thinly coated roundwound. The D'Addarios are smoother, both in sound and feel. They are so smooth to the touch that they almost feel like a single thick nylon strand, as opposed to an outer wrap. If I remember correctly, they wrap them thick and then grind them down to size, which is how they get so smooth.