1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

High Tension Short Scale (30inch) Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bass_drum, Jan 6, 2007.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Hey guys!

I am using a Schecter Hellcat VI (much like the Fender Bass VI), which is a 30inch scale bass, with six strings(usually tuned E-E), and a very tight string spacing.

I love the range I can get swith the bass, and the short scale is very nice on my wrists (I play alot and the extra stretch and overall increase in size when comparing this bass to say, my bc rich beast, really hurt my wrists, to the point were I would have to stop for a week and wear braces all day:meh: ). Anyways, with the current band that I am in, I am tunning drop d, and I feel that the low E string loses way to much tension and defition when doing so. The A string also feels "looser" compared to the other, higher strings.

So my question is, If i were to buy a set of short scale medium or heavy guage strings, and used the E and A strings from it would I feel a big difference in tension? Would I have to do anything to my nut...and if so, what?

If I go to a higher guage will the string spacing feel even tighter or will it feel relatively the same?

Just for comparing purposes, the string guages I have on my bass currently are as follows:
    .025 - .035 - .045 - .055 - .075 - .095

If someone could recommend a good set of strings (guage and brand) for me to try, that aren't to expensive, that would be great!

Perhaps I should just buy 2 single strings?

Thanks guys,

Justin B.

2. The Craw

The Craw

Jul 31, 2006
    There would be some increase in tension, and you might have to widen the nut slots, but IMO you're fighting a losing battle trying drop D on a short scale. A 30" scale is barely adequate for an E, which is why E strings on short scales often get lost in a live mix.

3. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    I always thought that depended more on eq'ing then scale length.:confused:

4. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    at .095 E on a 30"! i'd get at least a .105, that's what i have on my 34"

5. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Yeah...I pretty much have no doubt that i need to up it, but the question is to what? .100 or .105? Im thinking of buying a medium/heavy guage shortscale set and then using the lowest three on the hellcat, maybe it'll end up very balanced, seeing as itll be heavy bottom and light top :confused: :smug: :help: .

The other issue is that this beast uses guitar-like tuners...it has very small holes in the tuning pegs, so the string needs to have a very thin end on it to be able to fit through. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm looking at d'adario but I'm not sure if the strings will fit through the tuners or not:bawl: .

6. Not true. Lightening your attack will help a lot. I have TI flats on a short-scale Alembic that roars de-tuned to D, as long as I play it right.

7. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Hey guys, I used an older E strnig, that seemed to be bigger than my current one but not by much...and altho it was standard scale, it worked, there just was alot of windings around the tuner. The tension increased dramatically! It was very hard to turn the tuner past dropped d so i left it there, but it was tighter than in E with the other string!!! Was this difficulty due to the increased tnesion or the fact that i had way to many windings around the tuner?

Also, should I go to a .100 or .105???!?!? lol.