High Voltage

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Zon Bass, Mar 27, 2004.

  1. Zon Bass

    Zon Bass

    Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    After receiving a rather unpleasant 280v shock tonight I was wondering who else here has had any interesting run-ins with electricity.
  2. Trevorus


    Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    had 220 from a stove, 120 a bunch of times from the wall. I think I have had some higher voltage stuff, but I can't remember for some reason....
  3. embellisher

    embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

    280? Where did you get that? Anything over 220, you are lucky to be alive.
  4. Zon Bass

    Zon Bass

    Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    About 35 9 volt batteries hooked together. I went to pick it up and my fingers hit the terminals. The lucky thing is that we weren't done yet. Afterwards we got it to around 613v.
  5. notduane


    Nov 24, 2000
    I used to work in a radar E-lab. They brought in a (none too bright)
    Line tech to help the transmitter group

    They had fired-up the transmitter to run some tests. Line tech got curious
    and touched somethin' he shouldn't have. He went flyin' about 6 feet into
    a wall and was knocked cold. They took him outta' the lab on a stretcher

    In the days before Political Correctness, Line tech earned himself a nickname
    that day...

    "dummy load"
  6. Trevorus


    Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    there is 277 that is a three phase circuit. He could mean that. I almost worked in a hotel that had that.
  7. embellisher

    embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

    I thought that three phase was 440. I know that it will cook you in just a few seconds.
  8. Trevorus


    Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    what the fudge were you hooking so many 9 volts batts together for???
  9. nonsqtr

    nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

    Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I've been an amp tech for somewhere around 30 years. So, lots of shocking stories. Lots of high voltage, primarily from sticking my hands where they didn't belong. Before that I worked in a radio/TV environment for a while. RF burns can be really scary. Once I touched a live antenna that was only running 15 watts, and by the time I realized it, it was too late. RF cooks you like a microwave oven (from the inside out), so by the time you feel any pain, you're already toast. I've had several "thrown backwards against the wall" experiences, not to mention waking up staring at the ceiling wondering "how did I get here". Basically I'm pretty lucky to be alive at this point (for electrical reasons, and other reasons too). I count my blessings, and try not to burn too many bridges. :)
  10. Zon Bass

    Zon Bass

    Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I was helping on a production for the drama department at my school and after 2 preformances and a bunch of rehersals 20 mics produce a lot of half dead batteries.

    But to answer your question. Because I could. :D
  11. Eyescream


    Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    got hit with 220 before, that was quite an experience. Felt like I had my ass kicked that time. I've had a bunch of 120v zaps from accidentally sticking my finger on the anode on monitor tubes before they fully discharge. I've been lucky with those so far. The flybacks on CRT monitors'll ramp the voltage up to around 30,000+ volts sometimes going into the tube.

    Last place I worked at, I spent a weekend at GE's R&D labs in Schenectady. I remember walking past one power station in the plant that was producing a few hundred thousand volts. Just walking past it set my nervous system atwitter, my brain felt weird.

    Same job, another time I was touring parts of Eastman Kodak's plant, looking at big AC powerplants and generators for some of their equipment. Same kinda feeling there, some of the generators were as big an interstate tunnel.

    I've had capacitors explode at me before, and resistors pop under my fingers. Had a power supply for a computer that I tried to do some repairs on the board shoot a gout of flame out the back dustcover that was about 6 inches long when I hit the switch. After that, I just threw away the bad power supplies. Sucks cause we couldn't find a vendor for those parts anywhere, and we needed some to repair a really old set of systems.

    If it makes ya'll feel better, it's not the voltage that kills you necessarily. It's the amperage.
  12. Wrong Robot

    Wrong Robot Guest

    Apr 8, 2002
    I was wiring something(don't remember the voltage) and I foolishly plugged it in, realized something I messed up, and reached over to the live wire to quickly correct it, forgetting it was live. That gave me quite a shock, it was very interesting feeling, not exactly pain, more like...numbness, but it was persistent and I felt like I couldn't remove my hand from it, so I had to take my other hand to unplug the thing. didn't hurt, but it was very uncomfortable.

    oh yeah and I've had a couple 'tongue on the 9v' contests :p but that's mostly harmless, just stupid. :D
  13. AltIII


    Sep 3, 2002
    I'm pretty lucky just in the fact that I've never had many run ins with electricity. I think the worst I've had is playing around with a homemade capacitor (tin foil/transparency sheet/tin foil) and the school's... um the name of it escapes me, looks like a giant metal mushroom. It was the last day of school, a few guys and I managed to talk our teacher into using it. So after goofing around, charging up the capacitor and then unleashing the charge in various ways (including holding hands and have the current pass through us all), one of the guys dared me into touching one end with my finger and then the other end with my tounge. For some reason I agreed and next thing I know I see a flash, my tounge is burning and I can't taste anything but a metallic taste.
  14. Tim Cole

    Tim Cole

    Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I hope I don't die an electrifying death for this, but......

    I think I am near immune to most electrical shocks. Been hit with 110 more times that I can remember, and 220 a few times as well. Funny thing? None of it really hurt. The most recent 220 was of my own stupidity. Closing shop, I was in a hurry to get out of there, so instead of going to get the ladder to turn off the A/C, I decided I would just jump up, grab the plug, and pull it out of the wall. Let me tell you, the plug can still make good contact, and leave room for fingers. Even though it was 220 drawing enough amps to run an A/C unit, it felt more like strong rubber band snaps.

    I've also hit myself with those supposed 40,000 volt stun guns, weak.

    I got the pleasure of hanging out with Cheezewiz on the job on new years eve, and I was thinking about letting their tactical guy hit me with the tazer once (yes, I am a bit of a crazy moron), but they talked me out of it, said it would kick my ass. I just decided to take their word for it.
  15. I've gotten shocked from batteries and junk a bunch of times. Chances are, those won't kill you unless we're talking about car batteries or something. I've shocked myself by touching an open computer power supply a boupla times too. Good thing it wasn't the caps, those carry a good amount of current.
  16. Stuck my finger in an empty lightbulb socket once when it was live. I think I was about 10. Scared the hell out of me!
  17. JMX

    JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

    Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    In Germany 3-phase is 380V (for stoves etc.). Lucikily I never had a run-in with that. A former roommate reached in a washing-machine (230V) once, though, and literally flew through the room. No damage except 2 deep burn marks on each upper arm that healed very slowly.
  18. Mike N

    Mike N Missing the old TB

    Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I've gotten nailed by some MSD Blaster ignition coils. 40,000 volts or so.

    But, like someone already mentioned, Amps kill, Volts dont.
  19. Visirale


    Mar 23, 2003
    One time I took apart a disposable camera (and I wondered why it said don't do it...) and I accidentally completed the flash circuit. It just felt like an intense throbbing vibration, and the camera flashed, and I couldn't let go for a few seconds...

    As stated before.. it's not "painful" ... just different.
  20. Toasted


    May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    my dad got thrown off a pool table by 230 from a light fitting. it was quite funny, but only because he didnt die ;)