1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

High-wattage head with small speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ConnorStinehart, May 25, 2012.

1. ConnorStinehart

ConnorStinehart

Jan 15, 2012
    St. Louis
    Hi guys! I have a Little Mark 800 head and, since I don't know very much about how amps work, I was wondering, is it okay to pair such a high-powered head with a small speaker, like a MarkBass 121 extension cab, provided the impedance is the same? If so, how much sound can I expect out of that rig?

2. Yeah that should be fine, just listen for it farting out and roll back the bass or volume. You can expect just a little less volume than a 210 would have. Its not a big cab, and realistically it has the same limitations that all full range cabs do. The best thing you can do is go try it out. I would also recommend that if you are getting single speaker cabs, get 8 Ohm cabs. That way you can always add a second cab for more volume.

3. Just don't expect too much from it, regardless of what the cab is "rated for".

Volume comes from speaker area, NOT from throwing a bunch of watts at a small cab.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to both above, and yes, get an 8 ohm cab for sure.

5. ConnorStinehart

ConnorStinehart

Jan 15, 2012
    St. Louis
    Thanks guys, that's really helpful!