Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Highend Doubled 8 Strings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuperDuperStar, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Who makes em? If you could provide a web site address that would be great. Also any opinions and facts you can provide would be great.
    Thanks. :)

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    [​IMG]

www.curbow.com

Carved burled elm top with a mahogany back. Sounds amazing, and thanks to the rockwood lite neck and rockwood fretboard, the neck is as thin as any 4 string you'll play.

Sounds great, pretty light, and plays like a dream.

I'm sure you could talk quite a few builders into making you one. You should contact a few and ask them. Most luthiers get bored making the same thing over, and over, so I'm sure some would be happy to try something new.

Zon also makes an 8 string Sonus that looks pretty cool, but I've never played one.

3. Spam2mapS

Spam2mapS

Jun 26, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I believe the 8 string ric is no longer in production, but you can find one on ebay every once in a while

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i think that the bass palace just had a rick 8 in, not sure if its still there... i've seen conklin doubled 8's too. they make straight 8's as well so be careful of descriptions you might read...

5. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
  6. Zon and Pedulla both make them. Alembic's are probably the most famous (JPJ, Entwistle).

7. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    you sounded like you were having too good a time when you called my cell phone back last night. and smug too! :D

8. Heh. Rock show. I'm part of a group that puts on indie rock concerts here at Cornell and we turned a profit = ample reason for THE SMUG :D