1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Higher gauges strings in BEAD and AEAD tuning

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lifer_, Oct 13, 2013.

1. lifer_

lifer_

Oct 19, 2011
    Bulgaria
    I'm used to play with medium gauges strings like 65-85-105-135 Warwick Black Labels on all of my basses (still not big fan of 5 stringers), tuned BEAD and AEAD. My main bass is Epi T-bird Pro and recently I bought an Ibanez '86 RB650. My point is that on the Epi and all of my previously owned basses, the action was a little bit high for me. I took it to a one of the best luthier in the area (because of the little "chineese" gap in the middle on the neck. The guy made his best, the neck is perfect with new medium frets but still the action is far way I want it. On the other hand the Ibanez came with Rotosound 50-70-90-110 standard E and with some small adjustment on the neck relief it became an ideal action instrument.

I like the Black Labels, the sound and the feeling is ok for me. They are easy to find too. I found a dealer which could sell me Warwick single strings. My idea is to buy some higher tension strings for both of my basses. I am thinking of 70-90-110-140 and 70-9-110-145 for BEAD (Ibanez) and AEAD (Epiphone) tuning. My only concern is that the tension of such sets is not balanced. After my research in Talkbass and all that different string sets that you use, I'm still not sure that this sets will be fine for my basses and will not harm the necks. I saw the tension charts (D'addario and Circle K) but every brand has different tension (I suppose)...

How do you think, are this string sets good for my needs or there will be some problems? I hope this will help me to lower the action.
    Living in Europe, Warwick is the only brand that I found to be easy and fast shipped to my country.

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    The convention is to list the strings from the fattest to the skinniest ... ie ... EADG ...

That being said why not tune one bass DGCF and on BEAD?

How I handled this istuation is to tune my basses BEADG.

3. lifer_

lifer_

Oct 19, 2011
    Bulgaria
    Sorry for the reverse tuning :), I didn't paid attention on that.

I want to tune one AEAD and the other one BEAD, I've recorded our first album in BEAD and the second one AEAD. Till now I use just one bass for our gigs, retuning it on the stage. It's just one step up and down but it reflects on the other strings. The other thing is the sound of the bass on the different songs. The Epi is with two 35DC and the Ibanez is with P/J Barts with which I had recorded the first album and I miss that sound. The good thing is that every one of them could be a backup to the other one when I broke a string.

4. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    If you are fond of the .110 for E you should get a .150 for your B - it will go to A reasonably well and be of similar tension to the .110 when tuned to B.