Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Higher ground bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, May 19, 2004.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Does anybody know what bass flea is playing in the higher ground video? I knows it cheap but i like the way it looks. Any body have a clue what it is?

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Stingray. Doesn't mean he recorded with it on the actual song, though . . .

3. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    are you sure thats a stingray? cause it has a single coil neck pick up and that weird shape headstock in the video.Im not caring what he recorded with im just trying to figure it out. his teddy bear pants in their are awesome

4. it may be a spector. i know he played these for a while live around that time. hard to say, though -- flea has a long history of playing different basses live and in the studio. most of "one hot minute" was recorded with an alembic, whereas most of "blood sugar sex magik" was recorded with a wal.

robb.

5. That bass is a Teisco Del Ray, or a similar '60s Japanese whacko under a different brand name. The few Japanese companies that started making basses after the Beatles blew up allowed many companies to put their own brand names on the instruments, similar to what Danelectro did with Sears and other brands in the US at the same time.

6. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA