1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Higher Ground FLEA

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by AndysRipper, Sep 10, 2008.

1. AndysRipper

AndysRipper

Jan 9, 2008
    Ok, so all it is is this:

G
    D 2 5 7
    A
    E 00 33 55

I even checked a rhcp bass tab book.
    BUT, how do you get it to sound like flea does on the album?

The centre part of the riff is where u speed up obviosuly. BUT I cant get it to sound exactly like flea. Any ideas

I have yet to hear anyone play it like he does it

2. You have to really play it slow through a few times and get it really, really good.

If you mean in terms of tone then I don't know haha.

3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    There's a lot more to it than that, at the very least the two main fills at the end of the verses.

Some very minor timing issues, but here's a very accurate version.

What's missing from most people I hear playing this song (or at least the main riff that I seem to always hear someone attempting when I'm a Guitar Center) is that they don't play it with groove, focusing more on speed.

Honestly, when I had to learn this song (one of my gigs is a RHCP tribute band), I spent more time playing along with the Stevie Wonder version getting the feel down.

4. 51m0n

51m0n

Jun 30, 2005
    Actually he's pretty messy in that version. Close to right but he hasnt nailed it.

I completely agree about the groove thing. I found that the way to get there is to be able to play it straight perfectly but significantly faster than the record, that way when you slow back down to the correct tempo it feels slow and you have the capacity left to swing it nice and hard like flea does.

What I think is truly underrated is the chorus section though, now that lick back into the verse is tasty!

5. crazyfingers_jr

crazyfingers_jr

Apr 20, 2008
    i learned that song when i was thirteeen, and i spent hours just trying to perfect it, ive got it down pretty good now, but you just have to play it slow for now and slowly speed up

6. naetog

naetog Supporting Member

May 26, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    listen to the marcus miller cover. he kills it.

7. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    Yeah but that's a completely different version, though I wouldn't mind seeing some tablature for that one.

8. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC
    no one mentioned the time sig.... thats the issue most of the time (IMHO)

(FWIW... yak!)

9. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Isn't it 4/4?

10. Flintlock

Flintlock

Jul 3, 2007
    Southampton
    Just double checking, you are slapping it aren't you? I'm assuming you are but it hasn't been mentioned yet.

11. Joel S.

Joel S. Reserved for future witty use...

Jul 9, 2008
    Yea, that's what I was thinking. If it's a tonal thing, he slaps that line.

12. He does play fingerstyle on the chorus though, right? "so darn glad he let met try it again, cause last time on earth I lived a whole lot of sin....etc"

13. It needs to have a swing feel to nail it. (8th note "swing" Triplet)

Count: 1TeTa, 2TeTa, 3TeTa, 4TeTa

On beats 1 and 2 leave out the "Te", but still count it. Now you have 1_Ta, 2_Ta, 3TeTa, 4TeTa

Capital Letter are SLAPs, small letters are Pops

E_E,e_E,GGg,AAa,E_E,e_E,GGg,AaA

The Score says to the tempo is 1/4 note = 138
    Practice this at a much slower speed and then gradually raise the tempo