1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Higher Ground ... no, really!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kesslari, Oct 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Yes, we're all dead tired of RHCP cover-covers. This ain't that.
    I was looking for a version of Higher Ground that I heard on the radio - female singer accompanied by Leo Kotke-esque slide guitar.
    Didn't find it but found this - and I thought it was very, very cool.
    BTW, if anyone knows the artist I was originally looking for, please let me know.

2. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Very cool!

Though I must say - and it's probably a generational thing - that Stevie Wonder is the first thing that comes to mind for me when I think of "Higher Ground." I'd love to hear the above arrangement with the bass hooked up to a really good envelope filter, preferably an original Mu-Tron III like Stevie used on his clavinet.

3. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Ellen McIlwaine, from The Real Ellen McIlwaine (Kot'ai 1975) - I love that version:

Oh, and she accompanies herself, as can be inferred from the pic. :)

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    She's pushing with the vocals a bit but I like his take on the bass line.

5. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    AWESOME! Thanks. I thought whomever it was might be accompanying themselves but had no idea.

@FilterFunk Stevie IS the first person who comes to mind for Higher Ground. His dang song, and he OWNS it.

FilterFunk and HaphAsSard like this.
  6. The singer...not so much. But I could listen to his bass track by itself all day.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 26, 2020