1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

higher ground tab

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by JoeRules00, Apr 28, 2002.

1. since tab questions seem to be posted here (feel free to move it if I'm wrong), I need some help with the intro to Higher Ground by the Chili Peppers.

Playing around with it, I came up with
    G---------------------------------------------------
    D-------2------5-------7------------2------------7--
    A----------------------------------------------------
    E--0-0---0h3---3h5--------0-0-----0h3--3-----

but either due to my playing or this being wrong, it doesnt feel exactly right. Fill me in if I've got it wrong, please.

2. Slap_Thatb_Ass

Slap_Thatb_Ass

Mar 17, 2002
    This is how I play it:

G|-------------------------
    D|-----2----------5-------7-
    A|-------------------------
    E|-0-0---0h3-3---5-5----

3. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    what's with the hammer-ons, guys? none of that going on. check it out.

G|-----------------------------------|
    D|--------2------------5---------7--|
    A|-----------------------------------|
    E|-0--0-----x--3--3-----5--5--------|

the most infamous three notes there is ;)
    btw. i suppose you could also substite the dead note for an open E, either way that's all there is to it.

4. I probably just can't tell the difference between a dead note and an open E, but after the E octave jump, the notes sound like they ascend, which is why I had the 0h3 in there.

Onto another subject, how do you play dead notes? I imagine it's an open slap thats muted, but i'm not sure where to mute, or even if I'm right.

5. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    dead notes aren't difficult, and are a major rhythmic tool used in slapping.

i think you basically get the idea already - mute the desired string (in this case, the E) with your left hand fingers (it doesn't really matter where, preferably closer to the nut so you get a snappier 'thud' sound), and slap it with your thumb. of course, it doesn't sound like much if you just play a dead note by itself :D you have to incorporate them into whatever the line is.

if that isn't working for you, some cats do it like this - simply slap the string with your thumb, but don't let it bounce off the string as you normally would to achieve a discernible pitch. you should end up with much the same effect, a dull 'duh' sound. this may be more efficient for some people, but it takes a faster thumb to get it happening IMO.