higher ground tab

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by JoeRules00, Apr 28, 2002.

1. since tab questions seem to be posted here (feel free to move it if I'm wrong), I need some help with the intro to Higher Ground by the Chili Peppers.

Playing around with it, I came up with

but either due to my playing or this being wrong, it doesnt feel exactly right. Fill me in if I've got it wrong, please.
  2. Slap_Thatb_Ass

Mar 17, 2002
    This is how I play it:

3. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    what's with the hammer-ons, guys? none of that going on. check it out.

the most infamous three notes there is ;)
    btw. i suppose you could also substite the dead note for an open E, either way that's all there is to it.
  4. I probably just can't tell the difference between a dead note and an open E, but after the E octave jump, the notes sound like they ascend, which is why I had the 0h3 in there.

Onto another subject, how do you play dead notes? I imagine it's an open slap thats muted, but i'm not sure where to mute, or even if I'm right.
  5. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    dead notes aren't difficult, and are a major rhythmic tool used in slapping.

i think you basically get the idea already - mute the desired string (in this case, the E) with your left hand fingers (it doesn't really matter where, preferably closer to the nut so you get a snappier 'thud' sound), and slap it with your thumb. of course, it doesn't sound like much if you just play a dead note by itself :D you have to incorporate them into whatever the line is.

if that isn't working for you, some cats do it like this - simply slap the string with your thumb, but don't let it bounce off the string as you normally would to achieve a discernible pitch. you should end up with much the same effect, a dull 'duh' sound. this may be more efficient for some people, but it takes a faster thumb to get it happening IMO.