Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

higher ground

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by fluffybrick, Sep 13, 2000.

1. fluffybrick

fluffybrick

Jul 22, 2000
    i got the beginning down but how to you play the rest of RHCP-higher ground?

2. Get the tab, dude! You can prolly find it right on the internet

3. Albino_Ryno

Albino_Ryno Guest

Sep 17, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    I've been on the verge of pulling my hair out trying to find the bass tabs for this song. The only ones I can find show the intro slap part.....and that's about it. I can't quite figure out where to go during the chorous or the bridge piece right after that. If I find any tabs that have the complete song I'll let you know.

4. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Hi guys,

I recently learned Higher Ground from the RCHP.

This is a cool song and it shows the ingeniosity of that incredible Bass player.

There seems to be be no complete Tabs for that song but I mostly got the whole song and added personel touch to it. You have to go with your own interpretation and find a way to play the song at your convenience.

That`s what makes playing Bass so much fun !!!

See ya

Turlu

Happy "Washburn" Bass player.

6. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Hi guys,

You have to understand I am French and yes I probably invented a new worg with "ingeniosity". I should say that this guy is genious !!!

Yes you have to do a F diese for the bridge and then it is followed by a A but in between I do a cool descending running bass line starting from the C played at the 9th fret of the D string.

Hard for me to explain that in English !!!

See ya.

Turlu

7. smuttley

smuttley

Sep 29, 2000
    does everyone play higher ground?!
    whenever i walk into a music store, that's all anyone plays when they want to show off some slap, myself included!

8. Waittaminute!! :eek:

Is'nt that song originally by Stevie wonder?

9. smuttley

smuttley

Sep 29, 2000
    yeah it is!
    the stevie wonder version is okay
    but nowhere near as hardcore as RHCP!!

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I presume they all do it becuase they want to appear "special" or "different" ! :rolleyes:

I would be far more impressed if they could actually play on bass, what Stevie Wonder does on his original. ;)

11. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    If you read, you might try looking for it in some Stevie Wonder books. The memory is a little vague, but I think the RHCP version is pretty faithful to the notes of the original. Flea is actually slapping out the left-hand keyboard part.

12. Bruce Lindfield

That was a joke! But I did listen to this again from the CD version on "Innervisions". I can hear at least 4 keyboard parts on the introduction - the sort of wah part has two lines and there is a low sub bass synth sound that comes in and plays a bass line - more parts are added to the rhythm as it goes on. I have looked at a few Stevie Wonder books to help with using some of the songs like Jazz standards for blowing over and they are not that accurate and you are lucky to get a vague idea of what the chords are.They certainly don't have details like I mentioned above.

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    It's been awhile since I've heard Stevie's version; that said-
    Bruce, when you say "the wah-wah part has two lines"-
    ...that's probably Stevie's two hands playing the clavinet(?). I guess it's "sounds" like two parts...that's the advantage of playing keys(& why some bassists/guitarists TAP). BTW, an '80s band called The System had some pretty intense "two" part basslines played on a synth(David Frank was the "bassist").

Stevie's "Higher Ground" may not be hardcore...it is, however, Funky(capital "F")as Hell.

I agree with those who say check out the original & come up with your own thing...that's what Flea did.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Oh it's defintely one instrument - probably clavinet as you say, but I was just trying to stress that it's far more complicated than what Flea plays - it's a two-handed keyboard part. I really like funky clavinet parts like this, but it's virtually impossible to duplicate on bass. As well as this, there is another overdubbed sub-bass synth part, which is lower than most bassists can go. As the song progresses, there are more overdubbed keyboard parts. I imagine that someone playing a stick or one of John Turners basses could have a go, but I'd like to see it - far more than just another Flea clone! ;)

15. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Brian Eno once stated that music isn't the notes, but the effect they create. This is one time where I think that applies. Obviously no-body is going to be able to faithfully recreate the original clavinet part, but unless you're so busy looking at the trees that you don't see the forest, then it's not so hard to come up with a faithful rendition of the part. If you recreate what you "hear" as both parts lay on top of each other, then you still haven't wandered away from the central theme. You can pick a song apart to the point where you no longer hear it, you know.