1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

higher output, sub $200 combos

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lillitnn92, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Ibanez SW35

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Nemesis N8

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. Behringer Ultrabass BXL450A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Behringer Ultrabass BXL900

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. Rogue RB60

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. SWR LA10

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  7. Warwick Blue Cab 30

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. lillitnn92

lillitnn92 °

Jun 15, 2006
    harrisonburg, va
    i'm thinking of asking for a little combo amp for X-mas. now i've searched through some threads but i didn't really get any clear cut and dry opinions found for my needs. i'm a at home hobbyist, by no means a beginner. i have 20+ years playing. i want something "cost effective", but loud enough for for better low end without pushing the little bugger to hard. i've got some sub $200 choices. i don't expect to leave the house with it it's just for me here at home. the Behringer BXL900 and the Rouge are the highest wattage, but also the less reputable, but again, only for home use. but that doesn't mean i want to have a sucky sound. i'd like you guys to help me find a middle ground.

2. It's not on your list, but the Peavey Max 112 combo is pretty darn impressive, and right at $199. It could hang with a small gig or practice w/ drummer as well.

3. lillitnn92

lillitnn92 °

Jun 15, 2006
    harrisonburg, va
    oh, and before someone says "buy what sounds best to you". i wish i could but i would never find any of these amps at the two shops closest to me.

4. I dont think u ll notice any huge difference between them.... but I voted SWR for the quality of the product.

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I'd go with the Ibanez. It sounds good. I don't trust Behringer, I don't care much for the LA and the Eden is sort of so-so sounding to me.

6. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    ashdown also makes the perfect 10 combo, which is a great little practice combo in that price range

7. lillitnn92

lillitnn92 °

Jun 15, 2006
    harrisonburg, va
    thanks, yeah the Ashdown should have been in there, i forgot it. the only reason the Peavey isn't is because it is right there at $200 and i'm trying to keep the girlfriend spending as little as possible.

just any input, experience with using any of these or something i may have missed would be great.

8. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    The Peavey Max 112 combo is a great little guy. I haven't played on many of the other ones but the Peavey has my vote.

9. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I haven't found any small combo, that is worth buying. I'd get an airhead cab from a builder, with a Delta12LF in it, and put in your own head, with some power to it. It's about the only way to get a GOOD sounding little combo.However I think the best small combo, that I've played through was the Ashdown Five-Fifteen. They are 180.00 at Zzounds.

10. lillitnn92

lillitnn92 °

Jun 15, 2006
    harrisonburg, va
    oh thanks joegeezer, i didn't notice how low they were selling that one. course that's a factory resealed unit, but....i'll keep it in mind.

11. +1. The Peavey 112 would be my choice in a new amp.

12. lillitnn92

lillitnn92 °

Jun 15, 2006
    harrisonburg, va
    so i went to one of the close by shops today and they just happened to have the Ibanez SW35. so i grabbed a BTB, which i use, only difference is i use Flatwounds. sounded pretty good. got to play it at gain halfway and master halfway and started off with eq and presence in thier middle positions. i had the bass set they way i play mine. first thing i had to do was turn up the bass..to be expected. funny thing is, when i did, i made the Line 6 combo grill that was three amps down vibrate. all in all it was good. i wish i could sit down and sample all the choices though.

13. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    200 bucks for a used amp will get you twice the amp that 200 bucks for a new one will ... then again, a 200 buck amp new, will sell for 100 bucks used ... "why buy new, when used will do?" ... hmmm ... where have I heard that before?? :)

14. justinb515

justinb515

May 23, 2006
    Metropolis,IL
    The new orange crush amps are not too bad sounding, plus they are ultra portable. There is a 20 watt 8 inch, and a 35 watt 12 inch i think. I had the 20 for a little while, and it does fine for a practice combo, and its cheap and good looking as well. The yorkville practice combos are your best bet in my opinion if you are looking for the best sound, although they are higher in price.

15. :rollno:

ask for a strap or a sweater instead.

16. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    The Ibanez is a good practice amp. I had the SW65 for a little over a year. I'm sorry I sold it.

17. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    I've never owned a combo for bass, but I have a friend that had a rogue combo a few years back that looks similiar to the rb60. He brought it over to my house so we could jam, and he rattled my dishes in the kitchen. I didn't think it sounded bad, thought it was a pretty good combo especially for the money.

good luck in the search

ps..I didn't vote in the poll cause I didn't own the amp. Was just food for thought.

18. +1 on the peavey Max 112, i'm currently using the 115 and the osunds are pretty nice and we've gigged with it so the 112 should be more than loud enough and they seem pretty bomb proof. but i prefer the ashdown sound by a long way so the fivefifteen or perfect ten may be the way to go, the sound is warmer and has more depth than the peavey without loosing the top end IMHO.

19. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I don't think you can get more bang for your buck than with behringer. I have the 60watt combo w/12" speaker (forgot the model), but I've never had a single problem with it. It's pretty versatile, sounds warm and punchy, and I've even been able to use it in rehearsals. I believe it only cost around $150. I think my girl is getting me the 300watt one with a 15 for xmas. We still like to surprise each other though. :) If she does, I'll be able to give it a review.

20. arbarnhart

arbarnhart

Nov 16, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    I just got a used Fender Rumble 60 for about $150. Go search for opinions on that and you will be hard pressed to find a bad one. Mostly you will find that it is very loud for a 60 and has a good tone.