1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Higher quality replacement neck for SX Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 12bass, Apr 17, 2009.

1. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Some time ago I bought an SJB-75 (clear finish ash body with maple neck and white blocks). The first neck had a serious dead spot and some nasty frets, so Rondo sent another as a replacement. The new neck is better, but still has a significant dead spot and could use a fret level. Currently, the bass has a pair of Bartolini 9CBJS pickups in it and sounds pretty good, IMO.

So, I'm curious.... Can anyone recommend a replacement neck for an SX jazz, something that would be a step up in quality. It would be nice to have a neck with a proper fret dressing and no dead spots. 15" radius would be preferable. I've seen a few necks from companies like Mighty Mite and Warmoth.

Anyone have suggestions?

2. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    i would go with MM for price and quality , warmoth necks usually go for 180+

3. Doubtful you'd get a bolt-on neck with no dead spot, they all have them. Best, and cheapest, is to bring your bass to a competent luthier for setup and fret dressing. You'd have to do that with a new neck anyway.

4. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Thanks for the replies!

Saw these from StewMac: http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/product/5721

Apparently made by Mighty Mite, and come with 15" radius. The reason why I'm interested in a flatter radius is because the outer strings are too loud compared with the inner strings with the original SX neck. All too often, manufacturers don't seem to account for radius between neck and pickups. Even response is definitely desirable....

Also, is there any concern about mounting a Fender replacement neck on an SX body?

5. southernrocker

southernrocker Banned

Apr 4, 2009
    Don't forget Allparts!