Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

higher string tension after set up

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by torza, Jan 5, 2006.

1. torza

torza

Sep 20, 2005
    hey all. i just got my fender p bass set up. anyway, when i brought it home, i immediately noticed that the string tension was much higher. it is very noticibly harder to pluck the strings. i've never had this happen before. AND.. i use a roundcore string (fender super 8150), which have always been VERY flexible.
    so i was wondering.. is this due to the set up? is it something with the neck? i'm very confused. i even had him adjust the neck AGAIN.. it the problem persisted. HELP!

2. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Whoever did the setup probably tightened the truss rod to get rid of neck back bow and improve your action. I find that when I do this, my strings always feel a bit stiffer afterwards. I think it's a good thing, though, I don't like it when my strings feel too loose.

3. torza

torza

Sep 20, 2005
    thanks phxl. well... if that's the case.. i really don't like it. i don't mind having higher action, i actually prefer it. especially if it means having some loose string tension.