higher tension flatwounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Hurezeanu, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Hurezeanu

May 13, 2005
    hey all,
    COuld anyone give me a hand on locating a set of flatwound strings for a 5-string bass? (instead of a B-string, I am playing a high-C).

I've tried a bellyfull of strings, and have not quite found myself satisfied, I have tried the TI Jazz flats, and absolutely hate the low, floppy tension on them (although they do sound nice). I really enjoy playing my Dean Markley flats on my precision bass, but dean markley does not make a high-C flatwound... I'm looking for a tight, thumpy sounding flatwound for a 5-string fretless bass, I've also tried the Rotosound flatwounds, and I dislike the 'roundwound' bright sound they give, and their incredibly high tension makes them very uncomfortable to play.

I was thinking of trying some Sadowsky flats next (i've talked to someone over the phone and they said they could give me a high-c flatwound in .033 if anyone is interested!)

Any help would be appreciated!
  2. I would like to know the answer to this also. I have TI Jazz Flats. Love the sound but would like a string with medium tension and sound decent?
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    LaBellas are the industry standard high tension flat. Don't know if they make a readily available C string, but I imagine they do.
  4. Hurezeanu

May 13, 2005
    But are the Labellas very high in tension or modereately high? (compared to the rotosounds?)

anyone have experience with the Labella Deep Talkin Flatwounds?
  5. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    The Labella 760FL set (043-104) is not that high of tension IMO. I think that when people say LaBella's are high tension they must be referring to the Jamerson set, because this 760FL set is lower tension than the D'Addario Chromes (045-100) that I tried.

I'm really digging these LaBella's, though this set that I mentioned is only a four-string set.
  6. Hurezeanu

May 13, 2005

I do have a set of D'addario Chromes and would still prefer something higher in tension, its a shame that the Labella's are not that high in tension as I have heard that they are a very nice and stiff string.

I HAVE tried both the jamerson and the steve harris signature flats, and find them to be way too tense for me.

I'd like to try the Sadowsky flats next, so if anyone has any experience with them, a little insight would be greatly appreciated...

exactly what i am looking for = a high tension flatwound set that includes a high-c.
  7. Rav

Dec 29, 2004
    Aurora, IL
    The D'ad XL chromes are about as high tension as your going to find in flats from what I've seen.

8. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    LaBella also makes the 760FM set which should be tighter than the 760FL set that I mentioned earlier but looser than the Jamerson set.
    I've heard good things about the Fender 9050's, pretty high tension but not as high as the Jamerson set.