Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Higher tension reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by EFischer1, May 19, 2005.

1. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    I'm looking for an A string that will have a higher tension than my Flexocore that is on right now. I'd rather not do a Helicore because I think that they sound like ****e. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Original Felx(Blue) and Orig Flat Chr.(White/Blue) are both heavier gauge and higher tension than the Reg Flex(Purple/red).

Orig Flat Chrs are sweeter and closer to the Reg Flex in sound and the Orig Flexs are brighter but only slightly.

3. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    I have always thought that the Orig. Flex. were brighter! People keep telling me that they are a darker sounding string and, having played both, I totally don't believe it. Thanks Ken.

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I just finished testing the 3 sets mentioned.. All 3 on my Italian/Martini and 2(no orig Flex) on my English Bass/Gilkes.

This was the best way.. Same Bass with just a short break-in period. The Reg Flex E can be too soft sometimes. I thouth the Orig Flat Chr was very sweet except for the G.

I was also asking people but now have a sligtlt different opinion afet the tests. My English Bass loves the Flexs best. The Italian too but not the E. Perms sound better on that Bass on the Bottom.

Good luck..