Highest note on G string without utilizing the thumb position

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by altugbas, Aug 10, 2000.

1. altugbas

Jul 24, 2000
    How high can I ascend on the G string with out utilizing the thumb position?
  2. Col_Forbin

Aug 14, 2000
    after you reach the octave on the G string you'd probably want to use the thumb position...it depends on where the other notes are in that passage...if they're lower than the octave G, you'd probably use your ring finger on it as a harmonic...if you're playing above the G, you'd use your thumb obviously...
    i've developed the bad habit of going up and down that high part of the neck with my ring finger if i'm playing something fast...only if it's jazz though.....but yeah...the octave G
  3. I'm curious why you would not want to use the thumb position. "Thumb position" puts the arm in a posture that allows us to reach higer notes easily.

While it's surely possible to keep your thumb under or in the side of the fingerboard as you reach higher, it's much less mobile and seems silly. Perhaps you can tell us more of the motivation behind your question...

4. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I hate to show my ignorance, but I don't know what is meant by the "thumb position". Enlighten, please?
  5. Pick: When going above the octave, the thumb comes around from behind and assists the fingers in pressing down on the string. It also acts as a movable nut, meaning it is always positioned on a note. When to use it varies with the context of the passage being played. There's more, but it does get confusing. Also, I've observed varying techniques.
  6. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Thanks, Don.
  7. altugbas: Are you trying to learn how to play bass without using a teacher?
  8. TheBassPlayer

Aug 22, 2000
    i don't know why you would ever want to use such a technique. it sounds lazy to me.
  9. Which technique sounds lazy? thumb position or refusing to use the thumb?

The advantages of using the thumb are incredible and efficient. What else is there, really, to get around the upper "positions?" Even those who are proponants of usign just one or two fingers most of the time position the hand and arm in the same manner as those who use all five digits in the upper ranges of the instrument.

10. Don't sweat it, Karl, check thebassplayer's profile. He doesn't play doublebass. He appears to be just a troll.
  11. I can't wait for his input on bows.
  12. Why would any one want to use a bow? Bows are for girly-men, afraid of getting callouses, playing sissy music.
  13. AlexFeldman

Jun 18, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Too koop yur stroings stooky. Uv curss!
  14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    dammit, is this a job for bull turner? ;) do i need to bust some bg-guys' heads? did they wander over here? where's my damn 8 string? damn electric guys keep coming over here, they are gonna leave a trail and you guys are gonna follow it back.

and then there'll be hell to pay. :D

[Edited by john turner on 08-25-2000 at 01:16 AM]
  15. Easy now, Bull. Y'all are always sayin' us DB people never laugh; don't deprive us of an opportunity.
  16. Hello everyone - can we actually make this a place of opinions and learning, not one-liners that waste space and time?

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, a few things.

1. this is the DB forum, the double bass forum, so in all likelyhood, the participants here are talking about doublebasses.

2. the concept involves taking the thumb away from the back of the neck and bringing it over the fretboard. brian bromberg and a few others use this technique on electric bass - i used to sometimes in my 4 string days. fretting with the thumb allows a wide stretch high on the neck. on electric i would use my pinkie as an anchor.

3. this is a standard technique for playing high on the 'board on an upright. the architecture of the instrument lends itself to this method of playing.

btw, sorry to "disturb the peace" kpo, just trying to do my bit to keep you DB'ers calm and un-bothered. ;)

18. It's actually a quite compact and efficient approach, but capable of spreading out over long distances, too.

Get in a position where you can reach the end of the finger board. Run first finger froim the nut to the end of the finger board. There, you just did all you need to do, except to put the thumb down right on the string right next to the first finger halfway through the swoop... and get a book and a teacher!
  19. altugbas

Jul 24, 2000
    I got books,but I cant afford a teacher.I do not have that luxury unfortunately.I am tryýng to get all the way ,you have taken with the help of your famous teachers, on my own.Ray Brown did the same way too.I suffer from a teacher while some man is now suffering from hunger.I am at least luckier.

[Edited by altugbas on 10-28-2000 at 01:57 PM]