1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Highest output passive humcancelling Jazz Bass pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Catbuster, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Catbuster

Catbuster Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    I'd like to preface by saying that I have searched and haven't found anything conclusive-or anything at all for that matter.

What are they? I'm thinking of the Dimarzio Ultra Jazz and Model J, plus the discontinued Samarium Cobalt from Fender.

Am I missing anything? I usually run the Ultra Jazz or the Model J with a Dimarzio Model P for a big gritty sound that can be dumbed down a bit, but I'm wondering if there's anything else out there.

2. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I've got both Dimarzio Ultra Jazz and the Fender SCN pickups. The Dimarzio is the "J" in my P/J 5er. It's output does not quite match that of a p-bass pickup in series. It's maybe 80% of it. Which is pretty hot by hum cancelling jazz pickups standards. My SCN pickups have about the same output level. I can say, though that BOTH those pickups are simply amazing tone-wise. The SCNs are in my Fender Deluxe V.

I really don't know of anything hotter in a jazz style pickup.

3. Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    And I'm not looking for a match-that's nearly impossible. I usually just like the J to add a little definition, in which it just needs to be heard. Which worked great with the SPB-1/Hot stack configuration, but this Model P is a totally different animal. So much more output.

4. GuzBaas

GuzBaas

Oct 10, 2008
    London
    Lindy Fralin J hum canceling pickup - overwound 10%

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I have the stock wind Fralin Split-Jazz, and those are pretty hot too, but I doubt they reach DiMarzio Model J levels. I haven't tried the Model J, but if they're as hot for J pickups as the Model P is for P pickups, they must be slammin'.

6. extreme

extreme Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Model J

7. Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    So if the MJ is hotter why is the UJ marked a hotter by Dimarzio?

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    SGD Jazzbuckers. Side by side dual coil humbuckers. Wire the coils in series. Proceed to rock.

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    barring actual dual-rail 'buckers like the SGDs, the ultra-jazz is gonna be the loudest of the lot.

dimarzio's "output voltage" figures track pretty closely with real-world comparisons of their pickups, and it's the U-J by a length. (i wish more companies did that; you couldn't compare numbers from one brand to the next, but you could get a good idea of volume variations within a brand.)

10. PhatRon

PhatRon I blow bass

Feb 29, 2012
    Lake Stevens, Wa.
    what about the ones in the G&L bases? I don't know if they are or not but their MFD's sure are. Might be worth a look.

11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    G&L doesn't make an MFD J pickup, but it sure would be nice if they did! The bridge single coil in the SB-2 has low output, and isn't J-sized.

12. Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    Yeah, the bridge pickup on the SB-2 is pretty much a tone control for the MFD split. Outside of that the SB-2 is brilliant

13. Teacher

Teacher

May 3, 2012
    For my second build, I'm planning to use a pair of these with the ADG EQ-01 pre.

14. Seymour Duncan Hot Stack for Jazz Bass STK-J2