1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Highest Tension Low B string on the market?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BigKD, Aug 29, 2017.

1. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    What is it? I have a bass with a floppy B...

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    .175 can handle B... But will be pretty tight.

3. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

I like DR ddt @ . 145 I tune 1/2 step down feels good on my Squier VMPV.

scuzzy and trigger happy like this.
  4. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    Lol.

I'm using .135 right now. If I tune the bass up a 1/2 octave on the B string, it starts to sound the way it should.

5. nice_hat

nice_hat Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Puget Sound, WA
    String tension is a rabbit hole topic. You are asking far too generic a question. Add details or more specific criteria to get better answers.

According to basic math, the tightest would be one of the .266 from kalium strings, but that probably won't do what you want it to... Need more info to give you good recommendations.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  6. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    I have a 5 string bass with a floppy low B. Currently running Elixir stainless steel 045, .065, .085, .105, .135 on this bass. The issue was present with D'Addario pro steels and Nickel wound as well.

It sounds the way it should (IMO) if I tune it up 1/4 to 1/2 step, indicating to me that I could possibly resolve the issue with different strings...

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    What kind of bass?
    Construction? (Bolt on, neck through, etc.)
    Scale length?

8. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    Bolt on Warwick Thumb 34" scale.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  9. nice_hat

Jun 7, 2017
    Puget Sound, WA
    If using D'addario XL's, and just wanting something tighter than the.135, check out the .145t at bass strings online. @SLaPiNFuNK hooks you up with great service.

I'm not an elixer player, so I can't comment on that brand's availability in bigger diameters.

10. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

DR LowRiders and many "hex core" strings will be stiffer at a given gauge than a round core string will be

11. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    If you have a 34" scale length then you will have to go higher gauge to get a tight B

12. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    I wouldn't recommend it, that's equivalent to a .130 E, near breaking and fairly unplayable.
    For equal (scientific) tension to the .105 E you need a .145 B (according to D'Addario and Kalium tension charts). .145 drops to A well too.
    Note also your A and D are tighter than the E and G. Equal tensions would be .045 .060 .080 .105 .145.

Most sets have the B looser or much looser than the other strings.

If you try to raise perceived tension (stiffness) by using hex core or flatwounds (instead of altering gauges) then all strings will be stiffer so you end up with the same problem of the B being and feeling looser. So custom gauges is the solution.

Very few brands sell 5 string sets with equal tension strings, Kalium Strings do but it's best to just build sets from singles, or buy a (balanced or otherwise) 4 string set and add a single .145 B.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  13. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Up 1 semitone is roughly equivalent to adding .010 to the gauge.

14. nice_hat

Jun 7, 2017
    Puget Sound, WA
  15. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    That's super useful knowledge...thanks!

16. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    Try fanned frets ;)

Nev375 and nice_hat like this.
  17. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    i have a .145 on a bass, the DDT as well. it's a great string. It have it on a 35.5" tuned to A and it still sounds fantastic. as a B, it would be superb.

18. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Of course @ixlramp meant in the context of low B strings; when it comes to higher strings, the higher you go the more standard steps in gauge (.005 or multiples) matter, because they're percentually bigger relative to the diameters in question: come the G string, a .005 increment is roughly equivalent to tuning up a whole tone.

BigKD likes this.
  19. SubNoizeRat3691

SubNoizeRat3691 Lovin' the lows Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Davenport, IA
    I've used a .166 B string on an Ibanez SR505 with great results. That was from Circle K (Kalium now). They have great strings.

20. Jones64

Jones64 Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2015
    Boulder CO
    Some basses just have better B stings for reason I don't think I get, but my Moduli 35 inch scale basses always rock the B well. On one of them I have a .120 DR Sun Beam on as the B and although a little lose still sounds good and blend in with the other stings. Maybe stiffness is part of the equation.

Arthur U. Poon likes this.