Highest tension nickel rounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bongomania, Oct 20, 2006.

1. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I want to try some nickel rounds on my fretless. I like higher tension strings (and fatter gauge), partly because of the way I set my basses up, but I also just like the feel. I have some LaBella Slappers on one of my fretted basses, and I like the tension on those pretty well, but the volume and tone of them is very inconsistent from string to string.

So, what do you recommend?

2. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    i like the Rotosound, but the DR's are much more comfortable (smoother).

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    GHS heavy gauge.

4. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    For nickels - D'Addario XL's, high tension, good price, long lasting with a nice overall tone.

Never tried them on fretless though, my experience with them is only on fretted basses, I too like high tension, but love the sound of flatwound Chromes on a fretless bass.

5. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Yeah, I've got Chromes on there currently and I like them, I just feel like trying some rounds for variety. Also, the Slappers feel tighter than the Chromes to me, but that could be because those two basses are constructed differently (bolt-on v. neck-thru, different woods, etc.).

6. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Bump- any other suggestions?

7. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    +1

i use d'addario xl's (.5-.105)

thick and tense.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021