1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Highest Tension Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BellBottomBlues, Jun 18, 2007.

1. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    Endorser:Fender User:Rotosound, LaBella, Ashdown, Lindy Fralin
    I like the feel of high tension strings and I've been using Rotosound RS77LE jazz flats. However, I keep finding that they haven't been giving me enough tension like I want them to. Unfortunately, I think my hands are getting stronger.

Anyone know any strings that have high tension? I was thinking the Jamerson Signature set but I haven't tried them.

2. BassMan250

BassMan250

Jan 26, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Fender 9050M's. Very high tension, used to use them and loved them. I eventually switched to Chromes because I started playing more rock and needed some extra brightness, but the Fenders definitely have the tension and the vintage thump.

3. DR Lo Riders

4. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    The jamerson set are high tension and very stiff. You'll love 'em if you want a super-thumpy traditional flat.

The Fenders mentioned above are also high tension, but I can't say how much more or less than the LaBellas as I've never played them side by side.

DR Lo-Riders aren't particularly high tension or stiff feeling, they seem like average rounds, tension-wise, to me.

5. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    Endorser:Fender User:Rotosound, LaBella, Ashdown, Lindy Fralin
    I only use flatwound strings. I've never tried the Fenders, but I've always been disappointed in a big way when it comes to DR strings.

I remember that most people used to complain about the tension on Roto flats, I wonder if the Jamerson set has more.

6. I use 9050's on my P-Basses and D'Addario Chromes on my J-style basses. Both are high tension; the 9050's are a little thumpier while the Chromes are a little brighter.

7. What DRs did you use and whatd you not like about them?

DRs are the highest tension strings Ive used thus far.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021