Highest Wattage 1x15 On Earth

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Beets, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    It may be weeks until the Avalon U5 with the blue lights on the front is available. Meanwhile, I've got incredibly severe GAS. What usually happens is, late at night, after a few blender drinks, I will get on one of those all-night online music store websites and order something stupid. It's like I can't stop myself. Even though I'm so hammered I can barely see the picture on the monitor, somehow I manage to type in my shipping info and the credit card number. The next morning I will not remember what I ordered. I don't find out until I get one of those friendly emails saying, "Your Order Has Shipped". Great. This time I'm going to be smart and figure out something to buy ahead of time. Maybe something that I can actually use. I haven't used fifteens for years, so maybe a high power 1x15 would be fun. It needs to handle a bridged PLX3002 as well or better than my Eden 112XLT. Doesn't Mesa or somebody make one rated at 600 watts? Which reminds me, I'm real lucky that nobody sells Mesa gear online.
  2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    "standard" these days seems to be 400watts / 8 ohms. The Eden XLT is of that variety and would probably make a happy addition to the 1x12 you've got. Its a GREAT cab.
  3. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    I once saw a PA 15" that could take 2500w.... but i suppose it would sound really bad if you used it in a bass rig ;)
  4. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Kilomax. I like the sound of that. I could find some brand of cabinet with the right interior volume, pull out the wimpy stock speaker and put in the Kilomax. Sweet. :D
  5. Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Why stop at a 15? Get a new Mackie powered 18" sub. By itself, it pushes over 5000 watts. This way, everyone within a mile-plus radius can enjoy (or dislike) your bass playing! :)

PS, I think they even have a blue light on the front also...

6. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    18"? Why not a 21" or a 24"!!!

...go large?
  7. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Anyone sell Accugrove online?

"Yes I'd like one Whappo Grande to go..."
  8. Did someone say 15" kilomax equipped cabinet? :D

Eminence Kilomax 15" speaker (1250W, 8 ohm), Peerless 811647 1" Silk Dome Tweeter.... mmmmm... noise....

I'll build you one too if you pay to ship the materials to me in New Zealand.... and to ship the finished cabinet back to you....
  9. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Nice cabinet. I'd like to see the look on Mr. Triple Rectifiers face when I ask him to help me haul that one in. ;)
  10. jpoprock

Jun 7, 2005
    Kokomo, IN
    ROTFL. I don't know why.. but that post really cracked me up. It could be that I'm right there w/ you almost every other night! I'm new here. Introduction coming soon...

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    When I was in high school back in the mid '70s I took my bass rig (Carvin 200 watt solid state head and 2x15 cabinet with EV SROs) outside and turned it all the way up.

Kids were showing up saying that they heard me playing at the school a half mile away! :D

My former neighbor had a friend with a Ford Probe with 2 - 15 in. subs in the back. We're up on a small hill with the back of our home facing toward a busy road, I could usually feel him coming (from the air pressure change) long before I could see him 1/4 mile down the road. I'd feel this pressure in my ears and say "Ryan's coming", we'd look down the road and sure enough, he'd be driving over the crest of a little hill...his brain is probably liquid by now...

Oh, back to the thread...Jemetch...great job on the KiloKab...looks very Ampegish. That's not an Ampeg logo in the upper left hand corner of the grille..is it?
  12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm sure that Don up at Low Down Sound could build you a Triple Rectifier ripping 1x15! Pick the high wattage driver of choice, and he'll hook you up.

Also, FWIW, my Bergantino HT115 is only rated at 400w, but it's probably the best sounding 1x15 I have heard.

13. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    "You want fries with that?"

:D :D :D