1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Highly Efficient, Low Power, Cheap Speaker or Cab - Any Brainstorms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheSuzie, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Considering all the talk about low powered tube amps, converting small guitar and old low power PA amps, and folks general desire to improve the sound of our cheap practice amps - I figure we need a thread on cheap and efficient speakers and/or small cabs to make the most out of these amps.

Lets face it, these things dont need the power handling we usually talk about here so it is a whole different ballgame. Also if we are talking about small vintage bass amps and converted guitar amps, many of them have open back speaker enclosures - probably less than ideal and requiring different speakers with different characteristics than a sealed or ported cab.

Anyway the reason I am throwing this out there is that I have a few small tube guitar amps I would like to try with bass, either with new speakers as combo amps or converted to heads with some sort of lightweight cab. I also have my trusty Peavey Minx which I wish sounded a little better (it's not too bad) but I wonder if much can be done for that one.

So anyone have any thoughts along these lines?

Peace,
    ST

2. Andy73

Andy73

Aug 12, 2005
    So Cal
    For high efficiency with low power, I have been looking at the bill fitzmaurice designs. www.billfitzmaurice.com

3. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    "Well back in the day" ... seriously 50 watts went a long way, but remember the size of most of those cabs. I tell a lot of younger (just getting into it) players that need power but don't have a lot of $$$ find any old 2x15 cab and a 150 watt solid state head you will get old skool boom.

In the 70s when I played guitar I think every bass player I played with used a Peavey 300 and a 2x15 cab and a black Ric 4001 no lie. (well one friend had an Acoustic 360 but he had a black Ric too).

With the exception of maybe Ampeg flip tops, size (the bigger the better ) did matter. Then things changed power got cheap 300, 500, 1000 solid state watts ... cab efficiency dropped but became much more portable using 10s and such ... DI to the board became common, active pickups 5 and 6 strings.

That said I still love old skool ( I still have a killer old Peavey 300) and older cab ... I think it might be nice to explore this subject ... It would be great if there were smaller tube amps that could drive light weight efficient cabs of maybe some new folded horn design ... That said the nature of bass has changed for many, and a slapper for instance would still need fast a bright . I does make interesting food for thought though.

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Anything with an old JBL or Altec will probably get pretty loud.

5. Use your Peavey Minx to drive a Tuba36 + DR280.