Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Highpass filter?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Jan 10, 2002.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I have a rig with a 2x10 cab and a 1x15 cab. My head is an ordinary mono head. When I play loud the 2x10 cab starts farting because it can´t reproduce the lowest frequencies. Is there anyway I could use some kind of a highpass filter between the amp out connection and the 2x10 cab? And still let the 1x15 cab get the fullrange frequency?
    Any suggestions?

2. Yeah, you'd need a crossover of some description...either passive (ie unpowered) such as a crossover you'd find in a home stereo speaker, or active (ie powered) such as a rack unit.

Some effects units (my Zoom RFX2000 rack unit is nice) have a HPF function, so that's another option.

How are you running the cabinets - in parallel or serial? If running serial you could reverse the order of how you connect the cabinets...so that the 1x15 takes the frontline hit and the 2x10 is less taxed. But, if you're running parallel, each cabinet will be getting the same amount of signal, so this won't help.

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    No. It doesn't work that way. They both get the same thing.

Besides, I've never seen a cab that was set up to be wired in series with another cab. Daisy-chaining them hooks them up in parallel.