Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Highs and Lows on Spectors???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shandon, Feb 23, 2003.

1. I'm looking around for a new bass, can't find the RBX6JM I wanted, so I must continue my journey. I went to a music store and played a spector and I liked it a lot, but every manufacturer must have a flaw, it was a USA Bolt-on NS-JH5CM (new). So I'd like to hear a detailed reason to go w/ the USA Bolt-ons and I'd like to know of any flaws a spector has been known to have. Thanx.

2. herrspektor

herrspektor

Dec 21, 2002
    Dallas, Texas
    The biggest beef that people have with Spectors in general is that mids are not their strongest suit....great low end, great high end, although some people think that the treble can get kind of sizzly (love that word). Spectors generally have a more aggressive tone....it can kick down your door and steal your wallet. You can also get, of course, with some fiddling and EQing, a much more mellow tone, but not as 'old school' or mellow as say a Jazz, or a Modulus, Lakland, etc. Total matter of personal opinion.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've been the proud owner of a US NS-4, circa 1995. It's very versatile, tonally. I get a warm "P-like" tone when I solo the neck pickup, very growly tone when I favor the bridget pickup a bit an back off the treble, and an almost Stingray like tone when I favor the bridge pickup almost exclusively. And, the bass cuts through like nothing else I've ever played!

The things I'm not as fond about is that the treble is very up-front, so I have to use the treble on my amp and bass sparingly. The neck is a deeper profile than many modern basses, between a Jazz Bass and Precision Bass in thickness. For me, not a big deal, but for those who prefer the feel of a Jazz, it may not be their forte. In any case, it's nowhere near as thick as any Warwick I've played in the past few years.

Also, the bridge can be a pain. The saddles are held in place by a single screw on the side. If you're not careful to tighten that screw when adjusting action or intonation, the saddles will fall out the next time you change your strings. Thankfully I've got a great tuner and great patience.

All-in-all, I love this bass. It is NOT on my list for what I'll be buying next (I've already got a deposit on a 6-string Jerzy Drozd Mastery). But, if I didn't already have one, I would consider picking one up.:D

4. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Modulus? Old school?

I've never even heard those two in the same thread.

5. herrspektor

herrspektor

Dec 21, 2002
    Dallas, Texas
    I can get a much more mellow, smoother sound out of my Modulus than I can out of my Spectors. Was just trying to relate something possibly familiar, relative to Spectors.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Pros: Great looks, great sound (if you like a modern tone..like it was said before..highs can get pretty "sizzly". The Spectors just scream "aggresssive")

Cons" Heavy and uncomfortable neck shape (very round..baseball bat like)

I owned a NS5CRFM and loved the sound and the look..I just couldn't deal with the neck. ( The weight was a minor annoyance, but it could be lived with)

In short, with a different neck shape (which I fully realize is personal preference), I would still be proudly playing a Spector NS5CRFM. If you play it, and like the feel of the neck, you will be very happy with one.

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Does your Modulus have Barts?

I traded a Modulus in for my Spector because the Spector could get a warmer tone.

8. A Modulus with EMG's generally has MAJOR warmth and sterility problems. Not that it can't reproduce....you know....

Spectors are agressive basses that thrive in metal and punk settings, yet are versatile enough to use in other situations.

And their finishes are FANTASTIC.

I personally don't think Spectors' necks are as bad as Warwicks, per se.....but, then again, Warwicks (ESPECIALLY THE OLDER MODELS) are extremely thick neckwise.

9. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    If everyone is really after thin necks, my Geddy Lee has just about the thinest neck I've ever played.

mabye you all should look into a Ged.

10. herrspektor

herrspektor

Dec 21, 2002
    Dallas, Texas
    My Modulus is an older Q5 Prime with EMGs....strangely, I don't think it sounds cold or sterile (just my .02), but that could have to do with my rig, as well. But it sounds absolutely fantastic in a band setting, it cuts through evenly far better than my Spectors. Evenly, being the key phrase. I have to back the treble off a bit on the Q5, and voila. It's my main axe, and although I love my Spectors, they're boat anchors, and just not quite as versatile sounding. But they rock seriously when you need it, and have a huge low end.
    I have a Geddy as well, very thin neck. Good call on that one, if that's what you're after.