Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Highs not cutting through

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lyle, Mar 19, 2006.

1. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    I dont know if this belongs here, but I have a problem. I recently jammed with a keyboard player, drummer, and another bassist and my highs weren't cutting through the mix. I had to really mess around with my eq to get them to somewhat come through. Does this have anything to do with my pickup hight and if it does do I have to lower or raise them, they're pretty high as it is. any suggestions at all for what you think might help me are appreciated.

o ya my lows come through fine but when i start playing in the high register of the g string its quieter

2. You may want to try raising your pickups on the G side or lowering your pickups on the E (B) side.

Possibly with EQ try reducing your lows and possibly increase the overall volume to compensate. It's all relative. If you decrease your lows in effect you'll be increasing your highs.

What you may have, is a situation where your highs aren't too soft but rather lows are too pronounced. It all depends on your perspective.

3. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    I think you might have nailed it. Thanks alot man, I'll try messing with my pickups and my eq