1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

High's, Tweeters, Pad's and such...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SteveC, Apr 29, 2009.

1. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I was asking about the brightness of my sound and maybe needing less bright strings in another thread. I have been turning down the treble to compensate and the subject of my tweeter was brought up.

If I'm turning down my treble - which is mostly going through the tweeter I assume - I also assume I am loosing some of the highs that are sent to the 10" driver? If so, is turning down the treble a good thing, or is it better to have control over the tweeter?

My Shuttle combo doesn't have a tweeter control. Is putting one in myself an option? Would it really make that much of a difference? Maybe try disconnecting the tweeter all together. I am not up on all the technical aspects of this topic so thoughts are surely welcome.

I am not entirely sold that it's a tweeter problem as my bass is plenty bright through PA's as well - like at church. I know my channel EQ is set pretty flat.

Any thoughts?

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    depends on how your speaker cab is made.

if you turn down the highs on your amp's EQ, usually the tweeter and speaker both see a reduction in highs. course, this depends on where the two components "crossover" at what frequency. i.e. if the crossover point is 2kHz, where the tweeter gets all the frequency stuff above 2kHz, while the speaker handles everything below that, and the highs knob on the amp is centered at 4kHz, most likely the tweeter is affected by the EQ more than the speaker.

then of course, it depends the design of the amp's high knob operation, cause it can either affect one or a few frequencies, vs. if the highs knob was acting like an EQ "shelf", where it affects ALL the frequencies above a certain point. and, its best to think of the tweeter control as a shelf of sorts, where turning it down literally cuts off or lets in more of ALL the highs at any point above our fictitious 2kHz crossover point.

also, IME, while i too like a darker fatter sound, some highs are still necessary for having enough articulation and detail in your sound, so it travels properly into the audience, and keeping your bass from sounding like a muddy boom with no real discernable note. and no, i wouldnt bother putting in a tweeter control.

honestly, there's no need to dwell on that too much to find your sound. too bright, just turn down the highs knob! simple as that! have you tried simply turning down the tone knob your bass?

btw, what strings are you using? cause i say try changing strings first. on particular basses, they can make a world of a difference. in your strings thread, i'm sure you were told that nickel wound strings would nicely darken your sound, while still giving you plenty of articulation to keep it from the muddy mess.

for a versatile yet dark sound, i really like DR Lo Riders or DR Sunbeams for a very smooth and mellow sound. if you just want sheer thump and no high end whatsoever, try a set of flatwound strings. any number of brands will do. i like sadowsky's. flats arent nearly as versatile as roundwounds (dont like slapping on flats), but again, they'll achieve your tonal goals. course, you could just keep using your strings until they turn dead, which for many is a key recipe to their tonal goals! no joke!

but hey, you came to the amp lounge, and here, there's nothing wrong with using the EQ to achieve the sound you want. dont be afraid to go crazy! course, there are limits, and frankly, if you're finding yourself making some really really really crazy turns of every knob on your poor amp just to merely find your sound, and you're not necessarily doing this to compensate for one of the worst rooms ever designed for live acoustics, then you might want to ask yourself, "is this the right rig or even bass for my style?"

i.e. are you using a Jerzy Drozd 6 string w/ zingy Rotosound steel strings thru an Euphonic Audio iAMP Pro w/ a pair of NL210's, when in fact, you really need a Lakland Bob Glaub Pbass w/ mellow T-infled flats, thru an Ampeg B15 reissue w/ matching 1x15 cab?

and depending how much you trust your soundmen, its best to leave the PA sounds in their hands to help best sculpt your bass tone to fit the overall mix of the band. course, that's all dependant on how much you trust your soundmen. ;)

also, i see that you're using a 10" combo. IME, anything smaller than a 2x10 or a 1x12 isnt gonna have enough real low end for me, unless i boost the bass on my amp or bass' onboard preamp. kick up the lows on the amp, and see if that helps in rounding out your sound to make it seem darker and fatter, and not as bright.

and course after all this is said and done, i still say go w/ a string change first. :p

3. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    I have 2 Avatar 2x10 cabs and pulled the wires off the horns. I find the horns useless on a bass cabinet. Do the same and then fiddle with your EQ and listen to the difference. Go from there....

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Doing so can blow your amp. Really. :eek:
    If you don't like tweeters fine, but the safe way to disconnect them requires rewiring the cab to totally bypass the crossover.

5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I don't have any desire to rewire anything.....

6. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    +1 A crossover & tweeter-ectomy would be the approach I'd employ in bypassing these infernal PA components.

It's unfortunate that more bass cab makers don't include a bypass jack, or switch on their products.

With the exception of a 1x18" cabinet I owned long ago, I've never had a problem getting more than enough highs out of any bass cab.

Tweeters in bass cabs... :spit: