highway 1 and MIA

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by a e i o u, Mar 9, 2004.

1. What is the difference here that makes highway 1 basses hundreds of dollars cheaper than the MIA bass other than the s-1 switch? Are the highway 1 basses any good for the price?
  2. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Highway 1 has no graphite in the neck
    has no stb bridge
    has cheaper MIM type tuners and bridge
    different type of paint job
    no case, gigbag instead
    Basically a MIM with better pups, a different finish, and a gigbag
  3. csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I played a couple of those Highway Ones(a P and a J) the other day. Disliked them very much. Save up a little more and get an MIA.
  4. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Highway 1s feel really cheap to me... unlike the better MIA's. Save up for the MIA! Of the 2 H1's I've played (a P and a J) both played, sounded and felt terrible IMO.
  5. a e i o u, I see you're in Palmer, MA. The Guitar Center in Natick had MIA and Highway 1 models in stock this weekend. It's an hour plus drive, I know, but in case you're interested in playing both. . .

I played several of each at stores in MA this weekend. All of them were alder with rosewood boards. The Highway One basses all had build and/or assembly issues and bad setups. Also the satin finish looks odd in person. Some of the MIA basses had poorly dressed frets and other minor issues, but one MIA P (a brand new one with the S-1 feature) absolutely blew me away. It played like butter and the sound was warm and round. Fit and finish were top notch. I'm in the process of trying to convince myself not to buy it.
  6. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Actually I play a Hwy 1 Jazz bass that rocks. Maybe I got lucky and got a good one or you guys have tried lemons...not sure
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I've played Highway 1 basses that were twice as good as MIAs- I've also played MIA's that were way better than some H1's. Find a good H1 and save the money.
  8. I must be one of the lucky ones. My primary bass is a 2003 Hwy 1 P that I absoleutly love. Neck feels great, killer flexible sounds, about halfway inbetween a Jazz and a P . Well, it was anyway. Just slapped a set of TI Jazz flats on it today, Thump city. On another note, I really dig the finish. The neck is nice and smooth but NOT sticky like laquer, and the body *doesn't show fingerprints*. Oh, and did I mention it ways under 8 pounds, as well?

That said, I've played Hwy1's (both P and J) that are crap as well.
  9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    MIA's are probably a more reliable investment, esp with the graphite (why doesnt everyone do this now? - if FENDER has found a way to use it and not affect the tone, AND convinced the die hard - fender or nothing crowd that it's ok, other co's should be protecting their necks too - IMHO)
    That said, play 20 fenders of the same model and you will have played 20 very different basses - some MIM's are killer and some MIA's suck
    also, if you dont go to a place that takes the time to set up their basses (insert big chain store here), you are wasting your time trying to compare them
    One other comment that doesnt belong here but WTH........i still dont like the deluxe preamp, i played a MIJ Marcus 4 yesterday and the sadowsky pre is so much nicer - plus you get to shut it off if you want
    i think i'll have to put one in an alder bodied jazz
  10. What is the purpose for that thin finish? Does it have any positive or negative effects on the bass. I heard it wears more easily. Its either a Highway 1 or MIM P for me. I'm a poet and didn't know it! < I'm sorry. :(
  11. csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    IMO, the order of Fender P's goes (from best to worst) MIA, MIM, HWY 1. Get the MIM and spend the money you save on a new pickup and new strings.
  12. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Ditto... there are some amazing MIM's out there, for half the cost of (crappy) Highway 1's!
  13. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    Fender's consistency is so poor that only 1 in 10 basses of any model is going to be great, but you can find a great bass in any of their models. the key is to search and play before you buy. There are MIM's that are better than Fender Custom Shop

there are basses from every Fender model that are fantastic. again you have to search
  14. I agree with some of the above comments. I've played some good and bad MIA's, and MIM's. I recently bought a Highway 1 jazz, in sunburst. I compared it to many MIA and MIM jazz basses. IMO, This was the best sounding jazz in the store...and I even played a Marcus Miller, which I'm sure is a great bass. To be fair, there was only (1) 1 Highway 1 in the store, so I couldn't compare it to another Highway 1.

Fender basses are all unique. Everyone that I've played is different, again good and bad. For this reason, you're best option is to play one in person, rather then ordering online.

I have a MIM telecaster that sounded better then every MIA telecaster at the store. I also have a MIJ P/J with jazz neck, which I've owned for 13 years. This is my main bass, very good quality. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

To answer the finish question on the Highway 1, I like the flat finish. Like Newworldman said, no fingerprints. Also, I think it's more prone to chips...which is what I want. A sunburst jazz that is all beat up is sweet looking, think Jaco's jazz.

I think the Highway 1 is a good deal, so are the MIM's...if you find a good one.