Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Highway 1 Jazz 350$, Good Deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Linas, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I am in the market for a jazz bass, was looking at the geddy but recently this offer came up for a very good conditioned highway 1 jazz. I am not too sure what these go for, but can someone clue me in if i should jump on this. To me it seems like a deal but i have heard the highways ones a a little sub par compared to USA jazz basses.

2. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Buy it. It's USA made, and one of the best jazzes I've ever played was a Highway 1.

3. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Connecticut
    they go for about $670, and are more than $30 less in quality than the Geddy Lee (its the word "American" that makes it sell.)

The Highway One is Mexican parts constructed in America.

Still, $350 is a GREAT deal for it. good luck.

4. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    My main player is a HWY. 1 Jazz and I love it! At that price it's a steal, unless it is damaged or something I would snag it up. I paid about $600 for mine.

5. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    I have one of each and that is not quite true. The hardware is mexican parts. The neck feels different and both the body and neck have a different finish.

Jim

6. yea thats a great deal for one considering now these days a brand new mexican standard jazz its getting close to 500.

7. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    That deal almost sounds too good to be true.....what's the catch?

8. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Connecticut
    all I knew for sure was the electronics were 100% Mexican.
    But at the same time, mexican necks and bodies can be quite different between themselves. Factory made doesn't result in the same quality things through and through, unfortunately.

9. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    If there is a catch, i will see it when i try this bass out. He says its in good condition, but then again people have different views on what "good condition" is in their mind. Does anybody know if this has the clean neck pickup rout on the nasty big one?

10. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    i think mine has a clean route......might be wrong though

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    IMHO, $350 is a pretty good deal on a clean Highway 1.

12. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    Assuming there are no structural issues like a warped neck or messed up electronice, $350 is a steal. Even if it was all banged up, as long as it played well, I'd take it.

13. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    What should i look for when i go to check this guys bass out, i know how to see if the electronics are working properly, but how do i know if the neck is warped. He says the bass is good just needs a proper set up. Im familiar with sighting down a neck and seeing the relief, but how do you know if its warped?

14. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    If it's badly warped, you can usually see in looking down the neck from the bridge and lining up all the frets. You'll see a twist. Being that the Hwy1 is going to be a fairly new bass, I doubt you'll have that kind of problem, but you never know. Just check for the playability all the way up the neck, check that the truss rod isn't stripped, that there are no cracks at the neck joint or the tuners, that the nut isn't cracked. Most any other issues, if there are any, should be fairly easy to rectify.

15. very good deal, go for it

16. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I'd say go for it. That's almost half the regular price, so if it's in decent shape...

17. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    If it is any good shape then that is a pretty good deal. I used to have one and I think they are great basses. I sold mine when I moved to playing fives.

18. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    350 bucks for Hw 1 jazz is a good price. I used to own one and kick myself from time to time for selling it. Hope it works out.....