Highway 1 Jazz bass setup question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MascisMan, Nov 28, 2003.

1. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Hey guys my new Hwy 1 Jazz bass came in and had a few questions from other people that have played on these or own them. When you got your bass (or picked one up at the store) was the action like super high!? Mine is WAY high. Almost unplayable.

Also, Ive noticed on the E string when playing amplified I am detecting a slight harmonic ring when playing notes or open. Im thinking this is being caused by the HUGE .110 taperwound string on the guitar. Maybe a string change will fix this?

Im thinking that getting the guitar setup with lower action and with some D'Addario .105 roundwound strings will solve both of these problems. What do you guys think?
  2. I don't have the Highway 1 J, but I have a MIA J, and have tried other Fenders recently at my favorite vintage store, and setup does vary with each new instrument. I tried a fender j with a white see thru ash body the other month and the action was just way to high.

But of course you can correct this to your liking. Taperwound strings do tend to create more sustain and some people find them brighter:

I prefer a .105 or .100 for the low E, .110 seems kind of thick to me, but that's just my preference. I'd try a different setup and see if that gets rid of the overtones.
  3. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Cool thanks. Yeah I am wondering why Fender would put .110 Taperwound E strings on from the factory but who knows.
  4. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    In regards to the action, temperature changes greatly effect the amount of relief in the neck. That's probably the reason for the differences in action between basses. I wouldn't necessarily blame it on the production factory for setting up the bass poorly. The bass you have, for example, could have been set up and shipped out to the store, where you purchased it, a year before you got it. During that year, as the seasons pass, the temperature change would effect the relief in the neck.
  5. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    American Fenders come with a Either orange or red card inside that explains weather, heat and humidity changes during shipping will affect playabilty of you new Fender product. It states this instrument was setup for optimum playability at the time it left the factory. It will even have a hang tag with the inspectors initials on it. The 110 E string is what Fender puts on it's MIA jazz basses. Putting on smaller guage strings will more than likely cause you to get a new setup. If your bass still has this relief problem try de-tuning it slightly overnight and re-tune it in the mourning. Congats on the new bass.
  6. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Well I am planning on putting on smaller strings anyway just because that is my personal preference. So I might as well get it setup at the same time and the action lowered.
  7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  8. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Whoops sorry! Didnt realize there was a setup section.