Highway 1 Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by subwaver, Nov 18, 2003.

1. subwaver

Nov 18, 2003
    Anyone ever play/own these basses? I'm looking for a new one and from what I hear so far, it may be the way to go. American made and cheaper than the Mexican Deluxe model.
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    You'll hear mixed reviews, and a lot of "save up a few extra bucks and buy an American used".

I bought a Highway 1 P bass, and I like it just fine. I think I paid what the bass is worth. The finishes are something you have to be prepared to deal with, but it's ultimately up to you.

If the option is available to you, play the American bass, then the Highway 1, then a Mexican. Some people might not find enough different in the Highway 1 to justify spending more money over the Mexican... some will.

I did. I'm happy. :D Sometimes I wish I had gone for the Jazz bass, though.
  3. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    I have played 2 of the jazz basses and one p-bass.
    The jazz's were crimson red and they were both wonderful. I loved the neck, the sound and the the look of thoses basses. The P-bass was ho-hum.
    I'll be getting a red highway 1 jazz when the funds are available.
  4. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Quote from SuperDuck:The finishes are something you have to be prepared to deal.

What exactly is the finish like ?
  5. subwaver

Nov 18, 2003
    Thanks, guys.
    I believe that the finishes are a cheap and thin brushing of some laquerish product. That's fine with me, considering it's a nice price for a Fender Jazz.
    I've been researching the bass, have heard mixed reviews, and the only complaint had to do with the finish. No one really had any negative things to say about the instrument, which is a good thing, I suppose.
  6. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Whatever the shiny top coat is, be it lacquer, or gloss, or whatever, it ain't there. it's like a matte finish on a photograph. Mine (Vintage Blonde) is semi-transparant, so you can see the wood grain a little bit. Bascially, your bass won't be shiny. It still looks good, but it's something most aren't used to.

subwaver- The instrument itself is great. It's the only bass I've owned that I believe I will leave stock. Some people are really hung up on aesthetic appeal. That's fine, I'm that way, too. But this bass was nice enough for the right price to the point where I could ignore it's "half-finish".
  7. the finishes are supposed to wear and chip like old original fender guitars and basses. Very thin no gloss. Very good buy for the $$