1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Highway 1 or MIM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mahumadi, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Mahumadi

Mahumadi Banned

Apr 19, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    Ive had my eye on a MIM Jazz at the local music store - Brand new marked down to $360.

I just came across a gorgeous 03' Highway 1 Jazz on CL with OHSC for $450.

Im fairly new to the bass scene and have been wanting a great Jazz bass. Being able to play the MIM at the store is a good thing. However, the Highway 1 is about an hour and a half away. id hate to make that drive if the MIM would be a better bang for the buck. Ive never had a chance to play a Highway 1 so im curious as to what you guys think about this situation? Which would be your choice, the MIM new or the used Highway 1?

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    HW1.

Same thing as a MIM, but assembled in the US.

3. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Highway 1 is made in USA and has some resale potential..

4. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    My main player is an "03 highway 1

I love it!

5. Earthquake

Earthquake

Dec 19, 2007
    SoCal
    Not the same at all. Different neck, pickups, wood...

6. VincentGrim

VincentGrim Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Sense the MiM is right there at your local store, if you genuinely like the way it feels/sounds you should go with it. If you doubt the MiM, go with the highway 1. I'd say that the highway 1's are on average better out of the box, but there are gems that come out of mexico...When I was shopping for a pbass I had my heart set on a MIA standard but I definitely left the store with a MIM standard. I would make the trip to go try the HW1 with your money ready, if it doesn't fit as right as the MiM at your store does don't think of the trip as a waste, it helped you pick the bass you'd be happiest with.

7. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    hwy 1

8. I think that you should definitely take the drive to play the Highway One. A good bass is definitely worth the trip, especially if you're planning on using it as your main axe. :bassist:

I can definitely say, you're better off maybe throwing some time away then going through your career wondering if maybe the other bass was the one you really should have gotten. (Wow. That sounds like some corny love advice, but then again, maybe its the same thing :p)

And I agree with VincentGrim; bring your money with you to go test out the Highway One, and if you find you absolutely love it, buy it right there. If not, on your way home, go pick up that MIM Jazz.

Either way, you're heading home with a gem of an instrument, and if you don't like the Highway One, that MIM waiting for you at the music store will make your drive home worth while.

Hope this helps, and good luck! :D

9. There is ALWAYS another deal right around the corner! Does the MIM come with a case or will you have to buy one? Play both with your "eyes closed" and then buy the one you like the best.

I have a MIM Jazz V and I love it.

10. Livewire

Livewire Yahtzeeee

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    I would probably go with one for the new MIM basses since they've been revamped and I've heard nothing but good things about them, especially LPB ;). Plus it's a little easier on the wallet. The nitro finish on the Highway 1 basses aren't for everyone. If anything, you can always upgrade the bass easily later on.

11. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    Not really. All mim instruments are cut in corona and put together in ensenada. Necks are maple and bodies are alder. MIM electonics are the exact same as found in the us basses . The difference might be the badass, nitro, and truss rod nut location.

Kinda like the half-full or half-empty glass. You could say the highway 1 is a mim put together in corona, or that the mim is a us bass put together in ensenada. Both are great basses!

12. LeeWTurner

LeeWTurner Banned

Oct 16, 2009
    I am one of the few who does not have any negative preconceptions regarding MIM basses, but I LOVE Highway Ones. They are routed just like 60s basses, so they don't have those horrible big channels but in them, so you can play them with the pick guard off if you dig that look. I know a guy who has made a business from taking Highway Ones, stripping off the stock Nitro, another plus over the Mex, repainting them with matching headstocks, put high end pick ups, tuners, bridges and making them look like 60s basses. You get a US made Fender that looks and plays like a custom shop bass for less than MIM Road worn. I have a Sunburst he built for me and reliced and everyone who sees it and plays it first thinks it's a areal 60s bass and then they want to buy it. Granted, it's not a Nash, but it is much less money and very hip. I would take the drive and if you don't want to, PM me with the info and I may buy it! :hyper:

Take care

Lee

13. LeeWTurner

LeeWTurner Banned

Oct 16, 2009
    The bodies are RADICALLY different too. The HW1s are routed like 60s basses, so more work goes into them. You can play them with the pick guard off if that is your thing and if you ever want to strip it and repaint it in a more hip Nitro color, they are SUPER easy to strip where a Mex body takes a TON of labor to get that thick finish off. Just from finish point of view alone, I would take a HW1 with the nitro ever time. I am trying to relic Mex 60s reissue body and it is a giant pain in the rear! :bassist:

14. LeeWTurner

LeeWTurner Banned

Oct 16, 2009
    I think it is MUCH easier to upgrade a HW1 down the road, from a finish point of view at least. It is easy to get the Nitro finish off if you wanted to get a 60s type Nitro from Reranch where a Mex is a real pain to refinish. I also like the extra work that goes into the HW1 bodies in that they are routed like a 60s body and don't have those big ugly channels in them.

15. LeeWTurner

LeeWTurner Banned

Oct 16, 2009

Your info is not even close. PLEASE check your facts.

Thanks

16. zMatko

zMatko

Jun 17, 2009
    Those are quite lovely to play, i tried one down at the shop and couldn't put it down.

17. Livewire

Livewire Yahtzeeee

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Not everyone is talented enough to strip a body down and then refinish it...:rollno:

18. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    wrong

19. Earthquake

Earthquake

Dec 19, 2007
    SoCal
    The only part you got right is that MIM are cut in corona and assembled in ensenada. Check the Fender website for the specs and you will see that the neck has different construction with graphite posiflex rods for one. Electronics are different. USA basses use the better cuts of wood and the bodies have fewer pieces glued together.

20. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    highway 1s did not come with a hard shell case as original equipment but if this one comes with one, all the better.