Highway 1 P-bass advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jdbutz, May 18, 2007.

1. jdbutz

jdbutz

Feb 10, 2007
    Indianola, Iowa
    I was in Guitar Center this afternoon looking at P-basses. I saw a couple new MIM Standards. I saw a midnight wine finish going for $339 and a black finish with a case for $399. Then I saw a Highway 1 for $439. I asked the salesperson and he told me that there wasn't that much of a difference between the MIM Standard and the Highway 1. He also told me that he's seen a lot of neck problems with the Highway 1. Is he feeding me a bunch of crap, or not? It seems like the Highway 1 would be a good deal at that price, but his comments about the necks have me a little unsure. Any thoughts would be appreciated? Also, what are the differences between the MIM Standard and the Highway 1? Thanks!

2. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    AFAIK the Hwy1 has USA vintage reissue PU's, nitro finish, the upgraded Hwy1 also has a Badass 2 bridge and graphite bars in the neck. I am currently playing an upgraded Hwy1 as my main bass and it freaking rawks! absolutely love it and I chose it over a MIM and a MIA P bass (just because I liked the way it played more and it was basically deadspot free).

I've had it for about 4 months now and the neck is perfect, really nice smooth satin finish on the back. Bass has no neck dive which I have encountered on 2 MIA P's recently.

IMO the Hwy1 is a fantastic bass, it will also keep it's value slightly better than a MIM as it is US made. I also really dig the 70's logo on the Upgrade Hwy1's...

I would definitely say it is a better all round bass than its MIM counterpart.

3. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    He is definitely feeding you a line of crap about the necks on the HWY 1. They are excellent basses.

4. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    If they are serious about selling you a HW1 for $439, jump on it (and get one for me)...

5. garrett21

garrett21

Sep 12, 2005
    Ankara, Turkey
    +1 to what all these guys said man.. i own a HWY1 P-bass for about 8 months.. it rocks!! i've nothing like "a neck problem" if you know what i mean.. hyw's are excellent basses.. much better than MIM's.. trust me..

6. That's a salesperson that either doesn't know anything about the products s/he's selling or is absolutely attempting to steer you to the product that they'll make a larger commission on/the store will make a better profit on. That's a killer deal on the HWY1's, and the "Posiflex" graphite bars in their necks certainly lower the chances of warpage or dead spots. Add to the the finish, upgraded pups, electronics, hardware and build quality and as long as the HWY1 isn't a lemon for some reason at the price grab it now.

I scored a MIM Jazz Standard "used mint" for an insanely low price, have put the money I saved into upgrades (bridge/tuners, Bassline pups, pickguard, etc) and have made myself a great passive Jazz for less than the price of a new one, but this deal pretty much gives you the same thing for about the same cost without the effort/time of modding and a better "platform" (body and neck) to begin with. Go for it!

7. Just make sure it's the updated Highway One (it should be spelled out as O-n-e and not just the numeral "1").

It's the updated Highway Ones that have the graphite reinforcements on the neck. If it comes with documentation, make sure it lists this.

But then again, graphite reinforcements aren't "totally" necessary really. Look at it this way, people have been playing the Fenders from 62 through the 70's and the 80's without them and people are still playing them. You get a 62 re-issue Jazz or P-bass and they won't have them either...even though they command a higher price to buy.

8. jdbutz

jdbutz

Feb 10, 2007
    Indianola, Iowa
    If it's not an updated Highway One but an older one, is it still a good deal?

9. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Yeah, that's a good deal; also not everyone considers the Badass bridge and graphite reinforcements an improvement. Even if you decide it's not for you and end up selling it, I don't see how you could lose any money on it. I'd jump on it.

10. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I've never heard anything about neck problems on the Highway 1s.

Plus, I personally would much prefer the standard bridge to the badass.

11. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    I've heard of no real neck issues with the Highway One P-Bass. Maybe the store tech had to adjust a few truss rods
    due to too much releif in a few basses. That alone is not
    a defect but a common set up issue. I say at 439 bucks go
    for it!

12. garrett21

garrett21

Sep 12, 2005
    Ankara, Turkey
    i, for example have a pre-upgrade highway p. (HWY 1 not HWY ONE).. no reinforced neck, no badass bridge.. just plain old american p bass.. and as i've said before, i'm pretty happy with it :) so go for it.

13. jdbutz

jdbutz

Feb 10, 2007
    Indianola, Iowa
    I bought it today. I had it gone over and it looked great. I am sitting here getting to know it. I think I'm really going to love it. Thanks for all the advice!

14. Lordcliff

Lordcliff Supporting Member

May 19, 2006
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Show us. ;)
    I played a sunburst Hwy P last week, best bass on the wall. It was $740ish I think.

15. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Great deal. Highway 1's newer model or older are great value for money. 439 is a sweet deal.

16. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Local Guitar Center here has a new upgraded Highway One P for $509. Seems like a good deal - but I bought a Jag. Jazzes work beter for me, but if you're into the P, that was a grat price for that. It played veeery nicely indeed.

17. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    What's the neck profile like on these Hwy Ps? Chunky or more similar to a jazz neck?

18. Gegatso

Gegatso

Jan 16, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Completely agree.

19. felch182

felch182

May 26, 2005
    Hwy One's are pretty rad. A real shame about the colour's though

20. big stubby

big stubby

Feb 1, 2007
    I just bought a Highway One P bass, sunburst with the badass and I love it. Traded in my Mexi jazz and only paid $250 bucks for it. I love it

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021