1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Highway 1 p bass tuner replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by XSterling, Mar 19, 2017 at 2:58 AM.

1. XSterling

XSterling

Jul 8, 2012
    Spain
    I've an old Fender Highway 1 precision bass (2003) and I'd like to change the tuners (the E tuner don't keep the string in tune too much time...).
    I've read an old thread that the best/easy replacement for this concrete model are the Hipshot HB7.
    But The Hipshot HB7 says: FOR FENDER MEX MEXICO.
    Is it ok? Are this ones for earlier Highway 1 too?
    Are the Hipshot HB7 way better than the original ones?

Thanks.

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

It's the shape of the tuner plate that matters. Get the model that matches what came on your bass.

Tuners seldom can't "keep tune" it's often string installation errors or tuning DOWN to pitch that causes problems. Make sure you've installed the strings properly and ALWAYS TUNE UP TO PITCH.

3. wvbass

wvbass

Mar 1, 2004
    Pretty sure the XTender on my Highway 1 is a BT7. The HB7 is the same thing.
    [​IMG]

4. XSterling

XSterling

Jul 8, 2012
    Spain
    Thanks for your reply!
    So definetively the Hipshot HB7 is the good replacement for the original Highway 1 tuners and no matters if it says "for MEX MEXICAN".
    Did you any modification on the peg (drill new screw holes,...) or all that you did where take off the old parts and put the new ones?

5. wvbass

wvbass

Mar 1, 2004
    As I recall, it was a direct replacement. No new holes.

6. XSterling

XSterling

Jul 8, 2012
    Spain
    Thanks again.

wvbass likes this.
  7. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    I have to go with XSterling and say that tuning problems are rarely the fault of the tuning pegs. Much more often the strings are poorly installed or the nut is not cut properly. Tuning down doesn't help.