Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Highway 1 V.S. MIM fenders

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassbully43, Feb 13, 2006.

1. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I bought a fender MIM Jazz5 in the cool brown sunburst,its the new model with Pau ferro fretboard and Gotoh tuners it plays great and im getting used to the fretboard. I started looking at the Fender catalog and would go back to a 4 for comfort if it was a highway 1. I dont like MIM 4 stringers the jazz 5 is a great MIM and is a step up from the fours to me. I payed $450.00 for the jazz5 reg price is $520.00 on most sites the Highway 1 is $600.00 my cost-$699.00 on other sites. I get a deal thru a small shop. Is the highway 1 worth the money vs the MIM 5 ? Is the highway 1 the same parts just assembled in U.S.? I know MIM's are made in U.S. and sent to Mexico to assemble...i guess what im trying to say is what makes the highway so much more? and is it worth it?

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    The comparisons between the Highway 1 and Fender MIM basses are well documented in other threads. Do a search and you will see them. First of all you are comparing a five string to a four string...I think. That said, if you put two four stringers side by side, my money is best spent on the Highway One. I have owned both at the same time and the Highway One played and sounded much better than the MIM. Don't get me wrong, the MIM was fine but the Highway felt and sounded that much better to me. The body weighs less on the Highway and the finish, although flat, was more appealing to me than a glossy finish.
    You really have to try them both but unseen or untested I would bet that the Highway One would have less chance of issues (deadspots etc) that the MIM's which seem to be hit or miss.

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    For the same money you might want to look at the Geddy Lee jazz. I currently own one and like it almost as much as my Highway Jazz.

4. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    True...tryed the geddy and liked it...i thought the highways ,geddys, and MIMs were all Alder wood. I didnt know the highways had a flat finish also are the pups in the Mims the same as a Geddy or Highway...a guy who owns a shop who services fender said they are.

5. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    No..... I believe the pickups are different in each bass. Geddy Lee has the custom shop 60 pickups, while the Highway has US pickups (I believe) and the MIM has something else.

Check www.fender.com for exact specs.